adding keywords work around (keywords not showing up)

Started by imagething, May 21, 2013, 06:38:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imagething

Hi,

I'm using Exiftool to create keywords from embedded metadata but discovered the new keywords didn't show up in MediaPro but worked great for Photoshop and Capture One.
I discovered that re-saving the file in Photoshop it fixed the problem with Media Pro.

exiftool -addTagsFromFile @ "-keywords+<filename"

Caveat:  If the image was already in MediaPro you need to remove it from the catalog and add it again, rebuilding the thumbnail doesn't update the file.

I've been using Exiftool for a couple months and its pretty robust so reading through the material and trying to figure out syntax can be confusing.  The exiftool faq has some lots of sample code and good explanations.  I find it easier to modify working code than it is to write it from scratch so just follow the links to the sections you need.

http://www.exiftool.org/faq.html#Q1

I hope this helps,

Michael

Phil Harvey

Hi Michael,

You can do this before and after saving with Photoshop to see what it changed:

exiftool -a -G1 FILE > out.txt

Compare the "out.txt" files from before and after, then you can use ExifTool to write whatever Photoshop changed to avoid the Media Pro problem.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).