Problem with updating metadata

Started by nesherbiny, August 01, 2013, 02:42:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nesherbiny

Hi Phil
I'm sorry this has been asked several times, but I've followed all the posts and I still have a problem!
I have a csv with all the files full paths and metadata, I want to update the files.
I went to the folder containing the csv and typed exiftool -csv=".metadata.csv" but I keep getting the error:
Error opening CSV file

I checked the extension as advised in the post [https://exiftool.org/forum/index.php?topic=3544.0] but it is csv and opens in excel.
I also tried the full path, but it still gave me the same error.
Please help me
Thank you very much
Noah

Phil Harvey

Hi Noah,

Is the file really named ".metadata.csv"?  (with a leading "."?)

And what directory is it in?

Instead of typing the name, try dragging and dropping the CSV file onto the terminal window.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

nesherbiny

Thanks for the reply
The file doesn't have a . before the name. I tried dragging and dropping, now it says No file specified
> files noah$exiftool -csv="/Users/noah/Desktop/files/metadata.csv"
I have on my desktop a folder called files, with metadata.csv and subfolders.
I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong!

Phil Harvey

OK, so we fixed the "Error opening CSV file" problem.

Now the problem is that you need to specify the files and/or directories to process.  After dragging and dropping the CSV file, drag and drop the files to process.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

nesherbiny

Oh I got it, I have to have the csv file and the file to be changed from the csv.
Thank you very very much Phil
Noah