Main Menu

Spotlight comments - Mac

Started by scorro, August 02, 2013, 03:20:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scorro

This might not be the place but can someone point me in the right direction as far as how to transfer Spotlight Comments in the properties of a MacOs file and transferring that to the EXIF or IPTC or XMP fields of a file? 

I know that the data is stored in the ds_store file that is hidden in every folder on the Mac but how can I transfer that into one of the IPTC fields.  Which will then live with the file?

Thanks for the opportunity to learn and expand on making the process of metadata exchange that much easier.  Keep up the good work.

Corey Scarrow

Phil Harvey

Hi Corey,

Sorry, but I haven't heard of any application that will read this information from the .DS_Store file.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

scorro

Thanks for the response Phil.   If I can get the Spot light comments through an apple script something like this
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4523098?start=0&tstart=0
Could I then paste it to the description field of the IPTC for that file?  Either through AppleScript as well of some other means?

Thanks for even answering these questions.  It takes someone with alot of passion like yourself to help newbies like us.  ;)

Phil Harvey

There are a few examples of running ExifTool from an AppleScript that you can download from the Programming section of the ExifTool home page.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).