Adding simple Geo data

Started by edwind, January 04, 2014, 10:51:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

edwind

Having spent a little time with exiftool and reading file info from images I feel I am ready to add the data I want but have hit a snag.
Some of the data begins with GPS and I get the message 'not recognized as an internal or external command.
I think I would be better off adding data from a track.log file but I do not know how to create one.
This is the kind of info I wish to add;

-Pose Heading Degrees=160
-GPS Latitude=55 deg 45' 29.87" N
-GPS Longitude=3 deg 24' 33.73" W
-GPS Position=55 deg 45' 29.87" N, 3 deg 24' 33.73" W

and as you can see, I had input the properties in this form except just separated by a space between each one.
Is it possible to write a track.log file in notepad? If so, what form should it take? Or would I be better off using a csv file?

Phil Harvey

Part of your problem is explained in FAQ number 3.

Reading FAQ number 14 may also be useful.

As for how to write this... Creating a track log would be difficult, and the only advantage would be if you want ExifTool to interpolate between known positions.  But the best technique depends on the current form of your GPS data.  If you have it in a spreadsheet, then CSV would probably be best.  See the detailed explanation of the -csv option in the application documentation.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

edwind

Thank you Phil,

I am now the proud publisher of a photosphere made and geotagged completely outside anything Google.

The csv route proved to be the one that I could get on with and once I had downloaded the image data, compared it with the data of an image prepared by the Google app. I could see exactly what was needed.

Edwind