Previous topic - Next topic

Puu

Hi,

I am

1. New to Mac from PC
2. Installed Exiftool
3. Can't figure out how to start it
4. English is pretty new as second language

Anyone here who can help how to get the tool working without talking rock sience
I opened a terminal window and typed exiftool but the program will not start

Thanks upfront

Phil Harvey

If you used the OS X install package, then typing "exiftool" in a Terminal window (and pressing RETURN) should show the exiftool documentation.  But you must open the Terminal window after installing ExifTool.

Although this page is not finished, the ExifTool for Dummies documentation lists the steps for using ExifTool to extract metadata from a file.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Puu

Thanks for your speedy reply Phil,

There is no program starting where I can put a JPG file or to open a JpG file with,
I only get a page with some writing called:

User Contributed Perl Documentation 

Best Regards
Puu

Phil Harvey

Hi Puu,

Follow the steps 1 to 4 on the Dummies page.  You type "exiftool" then SPACE in the Terminal window, then drag and drop the files onto the Terminal window, then press RETURN.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Puu

Thanks Phil,

I followed the instructions and still end up getting only to a page
with the old story..

User Contributed Perl Documentation 

Best
Puu

Phil Harvey

Hi Puu,

This will happen if you press RETURN before entering the file name on the command line (or dragging and dropping the file) after typing "exiftool".

The command should look something like this just before you press RETURN:

exiftool /Users/phil/Desktop/image.jpg

- Phil