Only limited number of jpgs in a batch process?

Started by Heidi, March 16, 2014, 02:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heidi

Hi Phil,

I have to edit the Exif data for a few thousand images.
Unfortunately, I can only process a maximum of 400 in the batch mode, which makes it an arduous task.
Am I doing something wrong, or the tool can really only edit such a very limited number in the batch?
Thank you for your tip in advance!

Heidi

StarGeek

I've recently run a ExifTool command on over 9,000 pictures in a single directory as well as running a recursive (-r) command on a couple hundred thousand pictures (in many sub-directories), so 400 certainly isn't a limiting factor. 

There may be a limit to the command line depending upon your OS.  For example, Windows has command line limit of a little over 8,000 characters (I believe) so if you're call ExifTool from another script or program, you may run into that limit.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Heidi

Hi StarGeek,

thank you for your feedback.

Quoteso if you're ExifTool call from another script or program, you run into june did limit.

What do you mean exactly? Unfortunately I'm not so advanced that I understand it.
I do not know what I must do.
Could you help me to avoid this problem?

Thank you!
Heidi

StarGeek

It's hard to help without knowing exactly what you are doing.  How about giving an example of the command you're using?

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Phil Harvey

Hi Heidi,

There is a command-line length limitation in Windows which may restrict the number of files you may process.  To avoid this limitation, either specify a directory name instead, or put all the file names in a text file and use the -@ option.  (See the application documentation for details)

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Heidi

Thank you very much, Phil, for your help!!

Unfortunately I have not found the passage in the documentation to use the - @ option.
It is very difficult for me in English to understand everything  :-[

If I would use a directory name, I have to write the name within the Command-Line??  :-\
My latest command line is:
exiftool(-alldates='2014 02 18 11 00 00' -Make=Canon -Model='CanoScan 8800F' -overwrite_original)

Sorry for my English. Please bear with me.  :-[
Thank you!

Heidi

Phil Harvey

Hi Heidi,

You can find the desription of the -@ option here in the documentation.

To process an entire directory, just drag and drop the folder onto exiftool instead of all the files.

You are not using the command line if you add options to the exiftool application name and drag and drop files/folders onto it.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Heidi

Hi Phil,

thank you so much!!    :)
It now works very well - with a single directory. That definitely helps me a lot!

What should I do if I want to run it in sub-directories? Unfortunately, this is not working.
The sub-directories are not read.

By the way:
I've read that Exiftool GUI is no longer supported.
Do you or someone else know if it is possible to run on Exiftool GUI also a complete directory?

Thank you!
Heidi

Phil Harvey

Hi Heidi,

I think the GUI will run on a directory.  Just select it and see.  It should also have an option to recurse into subdirectories.  For the application, add -r to recurse into subdirectories.

- Phil

Heidi

Hi Phil,

GUI is not working with a directory with me. I need to mark the files.
If I select a directory, I can not select any options. (grayed out)

Quote from: Phil Harvey on March 18, 2014, 06:27:52 AM
For the application, add -r to recurse into subdirectories.

Thank you, that works great.
I am very pleased to have solved my problem with the limited number  - with your help!!  :D

Thank you says
Heidi

StarGeek

Quote from: Phil Harvey on March 17, 2014, 09:44:44 AM
There is a command-line length limitation in Windows which may restrict the number of files you may process.

For what it's worth, under windows the maximum command line is 8,192 characters.  For drag and drop operations, it appears to be a forth of that, at 2,048 characters.