Having trouble with setup.py : set.up py not found

Started by refrain, October 27, 2014, 10:57:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

refrain

I tried to install ExifToolGUI on Ubuntu and run the setup script from the command line with :

sudo ./setup.py install
[/b]

but what I got was this error message:

sudo: ./setup.py: command not found
[/b]

and when i run the setup script from the command line with

sudo ./install_remove.py install

what I got was this error message:

You have chosen to install pyExiftoolGUI on your system

=======================================================

usage: setup.py [global_opts] cmd1 [cmd1_opts] [cmd2 [cmd2_opts] ...]
   or: setup.py --help [cmd1 cmd2 ...]
   or: setup.py --help-commands
   or: setup.py cmd --help

error: option --install-layout not recognized

=======================================================

But when i checked into the folder where I untarred the pyExifToolGui-x.y.tgz, i found that there is 'setup.py' file. How is this possible? Any guidance? Hope someone help me. Thanks. :)

Regards,

Intan Nur F

Phil Harvey

Follow the instructions in the included README file to install exiftool.

There is no setup.py

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

StarGeek

Quote from: refrain on October 27, 2014, 10:57:38 AM
I tried to install ExifToolGUI on Ubuntu and run the setup script from the command line with :

Just to get some clarification, are you talking about pyExifToolGui?  Because ExifToolGUI is a windows program and comes in a zip file.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

refrain

Quote from: StarGeek on October 28, 2014, 02:31:07 PM
Quote from: refrain on October 27, 2014, 10:57:38 AM

Just to get some clarification, are you talking about pyExifToolGui?  Because ExifToolGUI is a windows program and comes in a zip file.

yeah, i just tried to install pyExifToolGUI but there's an error when i run the setup script from the command line with

sudo ./setup.py install
[/b]

there's an error like sudo: ./setup.py: command not found

What should i do then?

Hayo Baan

Though there are probably some people on this forum that could answer this as well, I think you'd best contact the author of pyExifToolGUI himself.

Edit: I just looked at the install instructions, and if you're trying to install one of the newer versions of the GUI (>=0.32) you will need to use the following command to install:
QuotepyExiftoolGUI >= 0.32: Run the setup script from the command line with
sudo ./install_remove.py install
Hayo Baan – Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

refrain

Thank you for your helps. Those problems are solved, now. I have installed pyExifToolGUI on my Ubuntu succesfully.  ;D