Main Menu

Admin Rights

Started by bs1925, January 18, 2015, 10:58:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bs1925

Hi,
I can run exiftool only with the option "Run as administrator" under W8.1 -
with my standard user (part of the Administrator group) there is no output generated (even in DOS mode - nothing).
any ideas?
best regards
Bernd

Phil Harvey

Hi Bernd,

When ExifTool is run for the first time it must unpack some files into your temporary directory.  To do so, it needs write access to this directory.  Either the wrong privileges or some antivirus software may block this.  I think that the temporary directory is set by the TEMP environment variable (not 100% sure about this on Windows).

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

bs1925

Hi Phil,

thx - it's very strange, the local TEMP/TMP path is modify-able etc.

using the same .exe (run from a vm machine) it works-

any ideas?
regards
Bernd

Phil Harvey

Hi Bernd,

The only other thing I can think of is that some files were corrupted when it unpacked.  You could try deleting the temporary files and trying again.  You should notice a delay as exiftool unpacks itself again the next time you run it.  Then maybe try a simple "exiftool -ver" command to see what happens.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

bs1925

Hi Phil,

manually deleting the par* directory in temp (including two different exif versions) and recreating a new par* with admin user finally worked.

thx for your help
regards
Bernd