Main Menu

Modify Date - change

Started by Joyce, November 16, 2014, 09:19:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joyce

Total newbie -

Can someone help with the command to change the date only in the Modify Date field?  I must be doing something wrong. 

Thanks,

Joyce

StarGeek

The ModifyDate tag is a date/time tag, so any single argument is assumed to be a time shift value (see ExifTool Date/Time Shift Module for more info).  So, to increment/decrement it by day, you'll need a second argument to hold the place of the time.  As an example, to add a day, try (use single quotes for non-windows system):
ExifTool -ModifyDate+="1 0" FILE/DIR

* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Joyce

Thank you this worked but I am not sure I still understand what the zero does? . 

ExifTool -ModifyDate+="1 0" FILE/DIR

Joyce

Phil Harvey

Hi Joyce,

The value for shifting date/time takes 2 arguments:  The date and the time.  The "0" is how much to shift the time.  If only 1 argument is provided, it is interpreted as a time shift.  So to shift the date you need to add the "0".  See the date/time shift documentation for details.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Joyce

Thank you - I will read.  Also, where do I get a list of the commands to modify the files.  For example: -ModifyDate to use.  I tried typing in listw but this spits out a very long list and I could not figure out how to scroll up the page.  I could hit the space bar to go down but not up.

Thanks,

Joyce

Phil Harvey

Hi Joyce,

There are an infinite variety of possible commands, but if you are talking about how to find a list of tags (like ModifyDate), FAQ 2 deals with this question.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).