Main Menu

Speed up ExifToolGui?

Started by badbob001, April 14, 2015, 10:45:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

badbob001

I used ExifToolGui to time shift the exif data in a folder of about 400 photos and it took quite a long time (a few minutes per file). Is ExifToolGui launching ExifTool per photo? I know ExifTool can target a folder instead of individual files, so would that be faster? If so, does ExifToolGui have an option to select a folder instead of individual files?

If the folder vs files speed is about the same, then would it speed things up if ExifToolGui invoked ExifTool in parallel instances? Perhaps it does this already.

ExifTool also has overwrite and overwrite-in-place options. Is one of these options faster? I'm not even sure if EXifToolGui even exposes this option.

Thanks!

Phil Harvey

A few minutes per file is ridiculous.  ExifToolGUI version 5 should only be launching ExifTool once, and should be able to process at least a few files per second.

Overwrite in place is slower.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

badbob001

The files are on a network drive, so maybe my network connection is the bottleneck. Thanks for the info.

Phil Harvey

Try copying the file in its current location.  For large files, ExifTool should be about the same speed as this.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

jacal

Out of curiosity, I have tried this with 400 18-MP photos on the local drive of my middle-aged PC. It took 12 seconds, 33 files per second. Latest ExifTool and GUI.

Have a nice day!

-Mart

Phil Harvey

Mart:  That sounds much more like it!  :)

- Phil