Using ExifToolGUI to extract preview images from Olympus ORF

Started by capricorn, April 18, 2015, 05:27:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

capricorn

I am really happy about ExifToolGUI because it eases major exiftool tasks a lot for me.
Thank you so much Bogdan, for providing this valuable tool to the community!

One feature I have been using very often is to extract preview images from RAW.
I have been using Panasonic m43 cameras in the past, so this was supported perfectly.
Now I have been moving to Olympus, and unfortunately ORF fornat seems not to be supported in terms of extracting preview images.

I understand that currently there is no more development and maintenance on ExifToolGUI.
So, I tried to patch a copy of the ExifToolGUI binary, replacing NEF, NRF, PEF by ORF.
Unfortunately, this does not work. Either ExifToolGUI does not recognize the ORF files present, or no output is generated.

I am wondering why the program behaves this way because the exiftool command given as an example in the help seems to be independent of a specific RAW format.
Any idea why patching does not work?

Sure, I can use a batch file for this task (this is what I'm actually doing), but having this feature available through the GUI is much more convenient.

Thanks
Karsten

Phil Harvey

Hi Karsten,

Most Olympus cameras write a large PreviewImage to their ORF files.  If your camera does this, you should be able to extract it with ExifToolGUI, although I can't help with the details of how to do this.

From the command line, it would be done like this:

exiftool -previewimage -b -w _preview.jpg DIR

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

capricorn

Hi Phil,

not sure what exactly you are considering as "large" - my E-M5 Mark 2 writes a 3200x2400 JPG ~1mb to the ORF file, which to me is pretty large.

In fact, as a workaround to missing support by GUI I am currently using a command line (batch file) which is similar to the one you suggested (plus a few things on top like coyping EXIF data).

Anyway, there seems to be no way to achieve this through ExifToolGUI. For some reason, ExifToolGUI seems to distinguish between the various RAW formats - it provides different menu entries for extracting preview images from
1. CR2/DNG
2. NEF/NRW
3. RW2/PEF

Even though this does not seem to be necessary looking at the respective generic exiftool command.

Regards
Karsten

Phil Harvey

Hi Karsten,

Then I would suggest using the ExifToolGUI "ExifTool direct" feature to achieve your goal.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).