How to remove all EXIF data that contains private infor(mation)?

Started by antdude, May 05, 2015, 09:36:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

antdude

I just discovered this program in both Mac OS X (v10.5.8 and v10.8.5) and Windows XP Pro SP3. I have no idea how to remove all EXIF data that contains private infor(mation) in MOV files from an old Apple iPhone 4S (iOS v8.3). I read various documentations and tried experiments, but still failed like this:

C:\dl>"exiftool(-k).exe" -exif:all= LizardsPushUps.mov
    0 image files updated
    1 image files unchanged

I had no problems viewing the data though. Help please? 

Thank you in advance. :)

Phil Harvey

Sorry, but ExifTool has only limited write ability for MOV videos, and can't be used to strip all metadata from these files.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

antdude

Ah bummer. Are there any other tools that can? I don't want others to know the locations, camera, etc.

Phil Harvey

For manipulating QuickTime atoms I usually recommend AtomicParsley, although I don't have any experience using it myself.  Either that or ffmpeg.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

antdude

Alright. Are there any plans to support MOV fully in the future?

Phil Harvey

Video formats are a complete can of worms, and I don't have the incentive to carve out enough time to implement this.  But who knows? ... It could be that someone down the line will need this feature badly enough to provide the necessary incentive (ie. $) ;)

- Phil

Fulco

You can use QT Edit (part of Pro Media Tools) from Digital Rebellion to write, read, edit and remove quicktime metadata. Another alternative is Edit Ready from Divergent Media. Both are Mac applications. I use these apps to add keywords and geolocations.

Fulco

antdude

Quote from: Fulco on May 06, 2015, 07:08:26 AM
You can use QT Edit (part of Pro Media Tools) from Digital Rebellion to write, read, edit and remove quicktime metadata. Another alternative is Edit Ready from Divergent Media. Both are Mac applications. I use these apps to add keywords and geolocations.

Fulco
Is that free? I used "ffmpeg -i in.mov -map_metadata -1 -c:v copy -c:a copy out.mov" command which was perfect, free, and fast!