Main Menu

Geodetic System

Started by Alan Clifford, May 24, 2015, 12:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Clifford

Now that I've installed Yosemite, I thought I'd try Nikon's NXI software again - the one that wouldn't run before.  So I've been looking at the manual.

They talk about supporting two geodetic systems ...  I'm just going to copy and paste this below.  They say it can be found in the file and camera information which I assume would be Nikon proprietary stuff but can't find any mention of it in you documents.  I haven't got a camera with gps to check anything but I was thinking that I should be putting the system in the metadata when I insert the location data myself.  But that is probably not feasible if it is in the Nikon tags I guess.

QuoteViewNX-i supports location data based on the Tokyo Datum (Japanese conventional geodetic system) or the World Geodetic System (WGS84). Shooting locations recorded based on other geodetic systems may not be displayed in the correct location on the map.

If you use ViewNX-i to edit or add location data, the location data is saved based on the World Geodetic System (WGS84).  You can check which geodetic system is used in the [File & Camera Information] section on the [Metadata] palette.

Just thought, if I add the location with the software, I should be able to find out where it has stored the system type.

Alan

Phil Harvey

Hi Alan,

This should be stored in the standard EXIF GPSMapDatum tag.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).