broken tags on some files

Started by Silent Strider, October 17, 2015, 05:36:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Strider

Good morning everyone,

I registered myself for the forum to show some files, where I found out, that the output is kinda broken. I guess exiftool somehow gets confused from some tags or something inside the file itself.

I'm using the windows executable for Exiftool on my Windows 7 Pro.

My first example is from the program MediaMonkey:
ExifTool Version Number         : 10.02
File Name                       : MediaMonkey.exe
Directory                       : .
File Size                       : 11 MB
File Modification Date/Time     : 2015:10:01 22:56:08+02:00
File Access Date/Time           : 2015:10:17 11:13:36+02:00
File Creation Date/Time         : 2015:10:01 22:56:08+02:00
File Permissions                : rw-rw-rw-
File Type                       : Win32 EXE
File Type Extension             : exe
MIME Type                       : application/octet-stream
Machine Type                    : Intel 386 or later, and compatibles
Time Stamp                      : 2015:10:01 22:45:11+02:00
PE Type                         : PE32
Linker Version                  : 2.25
Code Size                       : 8159744
Initialized Data Size           : 3409408
Uninitialized Data Size         : 0
Entry Point                     : 0x7c967c
OS Version                      : 5.0
Image Version                   : 0.0
Subsystem Version               : 5.0
Subsystem                       : Windows GUI
File Version Number             : 4.1.9.1764
Product Version Number          : 4.1.9.1764
File Flags Mask                 : 0x0000
File Flags                      : (none)
File OS                         : Win32
Object File Type                : Executable application
File Subtype                    : 0
Language Code                   : English (U.S.)
Character Set                   : Windows, Latin1
Company Name                    : Ventis Media Inc.
File Description                : MediaMonkey
File Version                    : 4.1.9.17646..InternalName
Gal Copyright                   : (
Gal Trademarks                  : F..OriginalFilename
Ia Monkeyexe                    : 6..ProductName
Ia Monkey                       : *..ProductVersion

As you can see, after the File Version, the tags get scrumbled somehow. I have zipped the main executable and placed it here (I was unable to upload it as attachment even so it's not the maximum size). (Virustotal-Link for zipped file)

Question: I have several more files where I noticed strange behaviour. Should I make a single thread for each of them or just place them all into this one?

Silent Strider

as I just noticed, by switching browsers (Firefox wouldn't let me click on post...) I have chosen the wrong forum, I'm sorry :-/ Should be in the bugs part of the forum

ryerman

Please be more specific.
What does "scrumbled" mean?
What did you expect that did not happen?
Windows 10 Home 64 bit, Exiftool v12.61

Silent Strider

Gal Copyright                   : (
Gal Trademarks                  : F..OriginalFilename
Ia Monkeyexe                    : 6..ProductName
Ia Monkey                       : *..ProductVersion

I don't think that these are tags for an EXE file. The tags look shifted. I think first one should be Legal Copyright. The ProductName on the right side should be on the left side, if I think correctly.

Silent Strider

I have uploaded it onto my webspace. You can download it from http://silentstrider.net/MediaMonkey.zip (it's only  the main executable. you also could download the MediaMonkey installer)

Phil Harvey

Thanks.  Sorry for the delay.

I've taken a look at this and the problem occurs because the FileVersion string in the EXE resources is not null terminated as expected.  I don't know if this is legal, but I will patch ExifTool to deal with this case and ExifTool 10.03 should fix this problem.

Thanks for reporting this.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Silent Strider

Great that I could be of any help.

I remember some more strange column names when I made a test with a directory scan of all files and creating a CSV file with the results.

Should I make a new thread for other files or place the example in this thread as well?

Phil Harvey

If you put more samples in this thread I'll test them out.

Thanks.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Silent Strider

Though I might wait for the new version, as other files could have just the same problem. Is it difficult for you to build the windows executable? As I don't have much clue of python myself.

Phil Harvey

Sure.  The new version should be out within a few days.

- Phil

Phil Harvey

I got the files, thanks.

I did a quick scan, and it looks like the new version should fix the problems reading metadata from these files.

The tags in question come from the PEString metadata.  Tags in this table don't need to be pre-defined for ExifTool to extract them because the tag names are stored in the metadata.

- Phil