Putting -XMP-crs:TIFFHandling in tiff file?

Started by c++, January 24, 2016, 10:42:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

c++

Hi Phil,

I am experimenting on a process for which I'd like to write an XMP property into a tiff file.

the property I'm after exists on ACR global settings files - here is an XML serialization of that:

<x:xmpmeta xmlns:x="adobe:ns:meta/" x:xmptk="Adobe XMP Core 4.2-c020 1.124078, Tue Sep 11 2007 23:21:40        ">
<rdf:RDF xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#">
  <rdf:Description rdf:about=""
    xmlns:crs="http://ns.adobe.com/camera-raw-settings/1.0/">
   <crs:DefaultAutoTone>False</crs:DefaultAutoTone>
   <crs:DefaultAutoGray>False</crs:DefaultAutoGray>
   <crs:DefaultsSpecificToSerial>False</crs:DefaultsSpecificToSerial>
   <crs:DefaultsSpecificToISO>False</crs:DefaultsSpecificToISO>
   <crs:DNGIgnoreSidecars>False</crs:DNGIgnoreSidecars>
   <crs:NegativeCachePath>C:\...</crs:NegativeCachePath>
   <crs:NegativeCacheMaximumSize>1.0</crs:NegativeCacheMaximumSize>
   <crs:NegativeCacheLargePreviewSize>1024</crs:NegativeCacheLargePreviewSize>
   <crs:JPEGHandling>Disable</crs:JPEGHandling>
   <crs:TIFFHandling>OpenIfSupported</crs:TIFFHandling>
  </rdf:Description>
</rdf:RDF>
</x:xmpmeta>

So I was trying this:

exiftool.exe -XMP-crs:TIFFHandling="Disable" some.tif

It reports that:

Warning: Tag 'TIFFHandling' does not exist
Nothing to do.

I was thinking of putting it there because stuff like -XMP-crs:RAWFileName exists and is writable.

I'd like to find out if ACR does act on -XMP-crs:TIFFHandling being in individual files.
(acting on it would mean ignoring the global option of opening all Tiff files through ACR as in the above ACR settings)

Is there an easy way for me to test that?

StarGeek

Unfortunately, TIFFHandling isn't one of the crs tags that exiftool directly understands. 

The long term solution would be to create a user defined tag to deal with it.  See the example config file for some details on that as well as searching on this forum for more examples.

For a quick and dirty test, though, you can export the XMP from an existing file, edit the XML, and then import it into a test file to see if it will load up.  You can export the XMP like this:
exiftool -xmp -b SourceFile >test.xml
Load up text.xml in a text editor, add it your TIFFHandling code.  I just copy/pasted <crs:TIFFHandling>OpenIfSupported</crs:TIFFHandling> from your first post in my test, placing it next to another similarly structured crs tag.  Then import it into your test file like this
exiftool -tagsfromfile test.xml -XMP TestFile

* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Phil Harvey

Thanks for the post.

I'll add support for these tags to ExifTool 10.11

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).