Main Menu

PNG to JPG

Started by chrisaaaaa, January 25, 2016, 06:23:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisaaaaa

I scanned in a lot of old photos as PNG, I set the dates and GPS with picassa, then discovered what I guess you all know, that is lost when I make JPGs.

I know this has been asked before, and I can see it has a good answer, with a scary amount of 'scripting', deals with date but not GPS etc.

When I do "exiftool.exe -a -u -g1 -s in.png" , the output includes creationTime but not GPS co-ordinates.

Then when I try "exiftool.exe -a -u -g1 -z -all= -tagsFromFile in.png -exif:all  out.jpg" I get : "Warning: No writable tags set from in.png"

So it looks like I need to:
  1 extract date and GPS into "in-date-gps.png"
  2 convert "in-date-gps.png" to "out-date-gps.jpg"
  3 decode name and gps and embed that into "out.jpg"

Sounds easy, but the name encode/decode looks tricky and GPS data is hidden somehow.

Have I missed something obvious, like export all data to XML and then reimport?

Anyone have a bat file that does it all already?

StarGeek

My quick test shows that Picasa doesn't save GPS data in PNG files.  PNG files have very poor metadata support in the first place and I believe it technically doesn't support EXIF, where the GPS data is normally stored, though Phil has a non-standard work around for that with ExifTool.  The data is probably saved in Picasa's db and might not be easy to get to in a usable form.

I tried Picasa's "Export as HTML", which has an option to export XML, but it doesn't include the gps data.  There's an option under the tools menu (Tools->Geotag->Export to Google Earth file) but that requires Google Earth, which I don't have installed. 

Some further searches came up with ExportPicasa which can extract some of the data out of a Picasa database, unfortunately not the GPS data, though.

You may have to do it the hard way.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

chrisaaaaa

Thanks StarGeek,

Not good news, but will avoid me going off on a dead end.

Shame Picassa does that, it is quirky but the best I have found to edit dates and places on photos.

Chris

StarGeek

I'd suggest taking a look at GeoSetter.  It uses exiftool to embed the geodata and has some pretty good options for dealing with other metadata.

* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Alan Clifford

Quote from: chrisaaaaa on January 26, 2016, 05:41:03 PM

Shame Picassa does that, it is quirky but the best I have found to edit dates and places on photos.

Chris

I now use http://fastphototagger.sourceforge.net/ for manually changing metadata stuff.