Main Menu

Repair CR2

Started by aidam, February 25, 2016, 05:49:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aidam

Hello,
I cannot open CR2 files from Canon EOS400D. I have broken a Compact Flash card. I recover CR2 files from the card but I am not able to repair that CR2 files. I tried ExifTool and extract_preview script, without success. Could you check this,pls. Thank you

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=6CC0FFE4BB3E0E17!25189&authkey=!AG9xHEVBDa-44Bs&ithint=folder%2c

Phil Harvey

I've looked at one of your files, and it is corrupted in a very interesting way that I have never seen before.  Most of the data is OK, but the upper bit is unreliable.  Unfortunately, this causes the makernotes tag (which should be 0x8769) to be missed (because it is 0x0769).  As well, it corrupts the embedded JPEG's (which should start with bytes 0xff 0xd8 0xff 0xc4 and end with 0xff 0xd9, but instead the one I'm looking at starts with 0xff 0x58 0xff 0x44 and ends with 0xff 0x59).

This single bit inconsistency is enough to make it almost impossible to recover any useful images from these files.

Sorry for the bad news.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

aidam

Thank you for your time. Files were corrupted with my internal card reader when I wanted to download compact flash. Thank you for the ExifTool, last hope:-)