Exiftool 10.15 and Circle Of Confusion

Started by herb, April 21, 2016, 05:26:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

herb

Hello Phil,

thanks for the new version 10.15 of Exiftool.
But with this version the composite tag CircleOfConfusion is always displayed twice for my *.jpg images of an Olympus camera.
Where does this come from?

Thanks in advance
Best regards
Herb

Phil Harvey

Hi Herb,

What command are you using?  I see this tag only once for all of my Olympus samples.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

herb

Hello Phil,

you remember the image taken with my Olympus E-PL6 camera which I sent to you in order to solve the exif:artist problem.
(this tag changed to a listtype tag because of -use mwg option).
It was: P4012530.jpg in P4012530.zip

I use the command: exiftool -all:all P4012530.jpg
and I get the following output for Composite:CircleOfConfusion
Circle Of Confusion             : 0.012 mm
Circle Of Confusion             : 0.015 mm

When I use additionally the option -g1:4, I get
Composite: Circle Of Confusion: 0.015 mm
Composite:Copy1: Circle Of Confusion: 0.012 mm

Thanks for your investigations in advance
Best regards
Herb

Phil Harvey

Hi Herbert,

When I run this command on your image, I only see one entry for CircleOfConfusion:

< exiftool ~/Desktop/P4012530.JPG -all:all | grep Circle
Circle Of Confusion             : 0.015 mm
>

Also, if I request it by name with duplicate tags enabled:

> exiftool ~/Desktop/P4012530.JPG -circleofconfusion -a -G1
[Composite]     Circle Of Confusion             : 0.015 mm
>

Are you perhaps using a config file that defines another CircleOfConfusion tag?  But if I use the sample config file, which redefines the CircleOfConfusion tag, it still doesn't produce a duplicate tag:

> exiftool -config config_files/example.config ~/Desktop/P4012530.JPG -circleofconfusion -a -G1
[Composite]     Circle Of Confusion             : 0.012 mm
>

- Phil

Edit: Added output from command using sample config file
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

herb

Hello Phil,

thanks for your quick reply.
Yes, you are right, the problem depends on my config file in which I have defined CircleOfConfusion.
(My defintion of CircleOfConfusion is identically with CircleOfConfusion defined in the .config_example file).

Removing it from config file, CircleOfConfusion is displayed only once (as expected).
This means CircleOfConfusion is not overwritten on my Windows XP system.

Thanks for your help and
Best regards
Herb

Phil Harvey

Hi Herb,

The behaviour will be the same on any system, so there must be something different about your config file.  If you could post it here I'll have a look.  (I'm not happy yet because I want to understand why your definition didn't override the pre-defined tag.)

- Phil

herb

Hello Phil,

attached please see the config file I use.
As described in my previous post, it depends only on the existance of CircleOfConfusion inside the config file, whether it is displayed twice or only once.

Best regards
Herb

Phil Harvey

Ah, very interesting.

This was a bug.  The user-defined tag wasn't properly overriding the pre-defined tag for your config file because of a dependency on the order of loading the tag tables.  This will be fixed in ExifTool version 10.16.  Also, I will add a feature to allow user-defined tags to specify whether or not they should override existing definitions.

Thanks for reporting this.

- Phil