Main Menu

Bad ExifIFD directory

Started by madelvic, June 30, 2016, 03:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madelvic

When trying to edit tags (ExifTool 9.2.9.0 under Win 7) some edits fail because of "Bad ExifIFD directory" (sample command and output below). Apologies if I've missed something obvious, but how do I fix this so that I can make edits? Thanks.

exiftool "-usercomment<xpcomment" "c:\users\daa\desktop\2014-07_006a.jpg"

Warning: Bad ExifIFD directory - c:\users\daa\desktop\2014-07_006a.jpg
Error: [minor] Bad ExifIFD directory - c:\users\daa\desktop\2014-07_006a.jpg
    0 image files updated
    1 files weren't updated due to errors

Phil Harvey

Adding the -m option will ignore minor errors, but beware that information in the affected directory may be lost.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

madelvic

Thanks for this, but using -m results in a longer error message, and the file still isn't updated:

Warning: Bad ExifIFD directory - c:/users/daa/desktop/2014-07_006a.jpg
Warning: Deleted bad ExifIFD directory - c:/users/daa/desktop/2014-07_006a.jpg
Error: Truncated ExifIFD directory - c:/users/daa/desktop/2014-07_006a.jpg
    0 image files updated
    1 files weren't updated due to errors

Does this error mean that I can't make any edits to this file, or does it only apply to the specific tag (in this case usercomment) that I'm trying to update? Thanks.

Phil Harvey

To make any changes to the metadata of this file it must first be rebuilt to remove the errors.  See FAQ 20 for details.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).