I need help extracting data from an MP4 file

Started by rs4eva, July 14, 2016, 10:37:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rs4eva

Phil Harvey

If you are in Windows, you can simply drag and drop the MP4 file onto exiftool.
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

rs4eva

I'm on a Mac, but I can try it on a windows machine.

Thanks!

Phil Harvey

On a Mac, type "exiftool" in a Terminal window (don't press RETURN yet), then press SPACE, then drag and drop the file into the Terminal window, then press RETURN.

The Mac is better because the Terminal is far superior to the Windows cmd console.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

rs4eva

Phil Harvey

Can you cut and paste your Terminal command here so I can see it? (On Mac, cut-n-paste from Terminal is easy.  Not so in Windows cmd.exe.)

- Phil

rs4eva

/Users/XXXXXXXX/Dropbox\ \(Personal\)/160625_173108_00032_.mp4

Phil Harvey

You didn't type "exiftool" SPACE first?  The command should look like this:

exiftool /Users/XXXXXXXX/Dropbox\ \(Personal\)/160625_173108_00032_.mp4

- Phil

rs4eva

doh, that worked, sort of. I was hoping to extract the raw data as well that is encoded with the MP4 video file.

Thanks for your help though.

Phil Harvey

How exactly do you want to extract the "raw data"?

You can see the file data structure in hex like this:

exiftool -v3 /Users/XXXXXXXX/Dropbox\ \(Personal\)/160625_173108_00032_.mp4

or extract the binary video data to a separate file like this:

exiftool /Users/XXXXXXXX/Dropbox\ \(Personal\)/160625_173108_00032_.mp4 -u -moviedata > out.dat

- Phil

rs4eva

the first one did something. the second one just gave me a blank terminal prompt

Phil Harvey

Yes, but it should have created a file called "out.dat" containing the raw video data.  I doubt this is what you wanted, but I don't know exactly what you are trying to do.

- Phil

rs4eva

That makes sense.

I have a program called Cosworth Toolbox. It reads and displays data from the onboard video and data recorder in my car. I want to try and build a web version that would read the file and strip out the data from the video and be able to present it on a web page.

the program is located here http://download.cosworth.com/downloads/Software/Toolbox/Consumer/GM/Index.htm, and you can see what happens with the video file link I posted earlier.