Norton Internet Security deletes ExifTool

Started by Phil Harvey, October 30, 2015, 12:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil Harvey

Apparently Norton Internet Security may delete exiftool(-k).exe (version 10.04) when it is extracted from the Windows distribution zip file.

The reason is quoted as:

Reason:   Exiftool(-k).exe contained threat  WS.Reputational.1

Which means that no virus was detected, but that Symantec in their wisdom has decided to block applications from small developers.

Read here for an explanation.

Lovely. :(

- Phil

Edit: Fixed broken link
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

restorephoto

Phil, didn't see your post until after I posted my own experience with this problem. Your link took me to a site that didn't seem to have info on the problem.

Can you confirm that all I need to do is proceed with the install of the 10.21 update and ignore Norton's protests?

Thanks..........

Phil Harvey

I've fixed the dead link.  Yes, just ignore Norton's warnings.  They discriminate against small software distributors like me.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

restorephoto

Thanks, Phil. I'll ignore Norton's warning. I appreciate the help.

bobscola

My exe starts Exiftool in another process & captures the stdout & consumes it.
I've never had issues on Windows 7 with other AV programs.

New box, Windows 10 with Norton AV.
NO matter how much I would play with setting NAV exclusions, starting Exiftool would lock up my box where I have to go to the power button.
I finally tossed NAV and installed McAfee. 
Now I'm back to having no issues.
I need Exiftool  a lot more than Norton.