Problem with Tif File

Started by canonman, September 05, 2016, 04:12:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

canonman

Just installed ExifTool on Mac running El Capitan.

I have been having an issue with the Nik Collection Filters running stand alone stripping the Exif data from the file.  So to re write it from my original CR2 I have installed exiftool.

When I try exiftool -TagfromFile myfile.cr2 myfile.jpg  It reads the file and completes (with a warning about the Exif size).  When I now look at the JPG the Exif Data has been correctly re-written.

However when I try exiftool -TagfromFile myfile.CR2 myfile.TIF  everything seems to complete the same but the data is not written and the Exif remains incomplete as it was.

Are there any issues with TIF?  Looking through the help pages I see that the supported file is TIFF so I tried re-naming the file extension in case but it still did not work.

canonman

Just to add version is 10.25

Commands run from the folder containing the files.

exiftool -TagFromFile IMG_0246.CR2 IMG_0246.JPG
Output for command that writes data is
======== IMG_0246.CR2
======== IMG_0246.JPG
Warning: Bad length ICC_Profile (length 3140) - IMG_0246.JPG
    2 image files read

exiftool -TagFromFile IMG_0246.CR2 IMG_0246.TIF
Output for file that does not is
======== IMG_0246.CR2
======== IMG_0246.TIF
Warning: Bad length ICC_Profile (length 3140) - IMG_0246.TIF
    2 image files read

StarGeek

Try -TagsFromFile.  Your command is looking for a tag called "TagFromFile", which doesn't exists so the output is empty for the two files.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

canonman

Thanks that fixed it.  What puzzled me is how it worked for the JPG.  Maybe I typed it correctly earlier and then mistyped later.