Does -o maintain directory structure?

Started by glenbodie, September 12, 2016, 05:54:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenbodie

I have a 2 layer tree of directories full of JPGs and a few other files that EXIFtool does not process.
I have some tags to apply to all the image files, and Ill be doing that with -r -csv=CSVFILE.
With no other options I end up with File.JPG and File.JPG_original both in my source directory.
What I would prefer is to leave the modified files in the existing source directory structure and save all the _originals in another parallel directory tree just in case I need them.

So, 3 questions about -o
1 - does it create a directory structure exactly the same as the source 2 layer tree, same directory names, and just put the newly modified files in there.
2 - is there a way for the _original files to go to the -o directory and leave the modified JPGs in the source directory where they started.
3 - if I use -P doesthat mean the modified JPGs still have all the original datetime values on them

Phil Harvey

Quote from: glenbodie on September 12, 2016, 05:54:36 PM
1 - does it create a directory structure exactly the same as the source 2 layer tree, same directory names, and just put the newly modified files in there.

It does what you tell it.  If you want the same directory structure, then you need to use %d in the -o argument.

Quote2 - is there a way for the _original files to go to the -o directory and leave the modified JPGs in the source directory where they started.

No.

Quote3 - if I use -P doesthat mean the modified JPGs still have all the original datetime values on them

Yes.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).