Adding GPS and CreationDate to MP4 videos so IOS photos app can detect

Started by neebah, April 26, 2016, 06:00:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neebah

Sorry for the clunky title. 

So it is possible to add gps and creation date to an mp4 video so that the IOS photos app can utilize both. 

Unfortunately I do not have an easy way to do this.  I used the meta atom containing the gps and creationdate from another photo and appended it to the end of an mp4 files moov atom from another source using a hex editor.  (IOS requires MP4 to work so conversion will be necessary for other file types). 

After that the moov size bytes have to be changed and sometimes the chunk offsets need to be altered (depending on the mp4 file involved).  I'll keep this updated.  So far the video plays with sound, the file is geolocating and its sorting by date.  It should be possible to add camera detail as well, but IOS doesn't really detect that in their native app

neebah

Further advice on this front. 

If a file is already in MP4 format I would recommend not trusting it for Icloud upload.  After a few tests the videos wouldn't start.  I would recommend making converted copies of the videos you would like to upload by using some program (Handbrake seems to work fine) at whatever quality you prefer to MP4 (even if it is already in MP4 format). 
When converted using Handbrake all I had to do what copy over the meta section from the other IOS image to the end of the file (which is also when using Handbrake the end of the moov section) and changing the moov sections atom size to compensate for the added bytes. 

neebah

So after doing some digging I've found that iOS videos provide a free atom that is about 1kB in size.  This is meant for the purpose of adding data in later.  Shouldn't be too difficult to create an editor to add camera, gps, etc to an already existing iPhone video.  I often find that the wifi only iOS devices are sketchy with gps storage. 

I'm going to start work right away on an atom parser and editor for iOS videos and MP4 (for those who wish to upload existing videos from other cameras to iOS photos library

sketchypictures

Did you find a solve or create a tool to help you add gps and date/time metadata to mp4 movies?  I've really wanted to do this as well.

neebah

Yes to both.  The tool is still in development.  It creates a duplicate file with the new data added. 

Daniel.Sarba

I´m trying to add gps and creation date to my mp4 videos, but didn´t really have a 100 % success. I´ve used ExiftoolGUI, Geosetter, Adobe Bridge and so on, and I did achieve adding the gps location to the file, but the mobile phone (SGS7) doesn´t recognize the new location. In the ExiftoolGUI appear the new location in other section, as it does, in the original movies.
Can you please describe your steps in detail?
Thanks.
:o