How to print tags with tag names but not XXX# references

Started by L_Carver, February 04, 2017, 05:53:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

L_Carver

I'd like to see my tags in a way more like Exiv2 shows them, blocks (headers?) and tag names as well as content. I sometimes see Photoshop-stamped tags (Record Version, Native Digest in XMP), and besides doing an "-XMP:All" on a file, I don't catch their names, much less their 'section.' I'd like to be able to write a bash script to remove these tags, and I believe doing it by block or name would be the most precise way.

Besides, other GUI apps sometimes add "unusual" tags to JPEG files, so finding them by block would satisfy my general curiosity.

Carver
Screen name comes from a story my ex-wife and I worked on for several years and never got past the first chapter. Llewellyn Carver was a Welsh drow elf living somewhere in New York state. Message me if you're curious to find out more.

Phil Harvey

Hi Carver,

I don't know what the Exiv2 output is like, but you can group tags in the ExifTool output in a number of ways.  It sounds like you want a more fine-grained location.  Try adding-G1 (or -g1) to your command when reading metadata -- you can specify these groups with -group:all=.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).