Trying to batch geotag exif data with latitude, longitude and altitude

Started by claire, June 22, 2017, 09:24:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

claire

I have a csv file formatted as follows, and I'm trying to add the information to a batch of jpegs.

SourceFileGPSLatitudeGPSLongitudeGPSAltitude
550.JPG-39.5787912176.5615717906.2
551.JPG-39.5789423176.5620493907.5

I'm using the following:

exiftool -GPSLatitude -GPSLongitude -GPSAltitude -csv="filename.csv" -o output/ .

And I get this result:

1 directories scanned
1 directories created
2 image files created

I'm using MacOS Sierra, and when I right click on the outputted file name and select 'Get Info', I can see:

Latitude: 39.5788
Longitude: 176.5616

I see three issues in the created exif data:

1 There is no Altitude
2 Latitude has no reference frame indicated (North or South) and appears to be in the wrong direction (It was negative -39.5789423 and is now in the positive direction.
3 The Longitude and Latitude have been truncated to 4 decimal places

How can I fix these issues?

Thanks

StarGeek

Quote from: claire on June 22, 2017, 09:24:27 PM
2 Latitude has no reference frame indicated (North or South) and appears to be in the wrong direction (It was negative -39.5789423 and is now in the positive direction.

The easiest way, IMO, would be to load up your CSV in a spreadsheet program, duplicate the GPSLatitude and GPSLongitude in your csv, and rename the duplicated headers to GPSLatitudeRef and GPSLongitudeRef.  The EXIF GPS tags are unsigned and lose the sign when you write to them.  To keep track of if the value is N/S and E/W, the Reference tags also need to be written.

Quote3 The Longitude and Latitude have been truncated to 4 decimal places

Are the values written properly when you use exiftool to read them?  It might be that MacOS is truncating them just when it displays the values.

As for the altitude, does MacOS display that on any other file?  If so, run exiftool -g1 -a -s -gps* on that file and try to see where it might be reading the data from.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).