ExifTool for macOS - How can I enter GPS latitude & longitude?

Started by prettypixel, March 26, 2018, 02:28:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

prettypixel

I have recently started to use ExifTool for macOS, and have learned how to edit the datetimeoriginal exif information.

However, I have many images that I would now like to enter GPS latitude & longitude information for, and then upload to Google Photos. I would be grateful if someone could advise me on the commands necessary. For information, I know how to obtain latitude & longitude information from Google Maps. Thank you in advance.

StarGeek

Exiftool -gpslatitude=12.34 -gpslatituderef=N -gpslongitude=56.78 -gpslongituderef=W

The Ref tags are very important if the coords are negative (N S or W).
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

prettypixel

Thank you for the reply and instructions. I notice the example you gave me include very short latitude and longitude values. Mine are longer - is this OK? Please see below:

53.319629, -0.666803

Also, I don't know if the coordinates are negative or not - how can I tell? Thank you again  :)

Phil Harvey

...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).