Filename to Subject, removing underscores & extension

Started by Stephen Marsh, August 06, 2017, 08:20:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen Marsh

I am trying to copy the filename to subject, removing underscores and filename extension:

exiftool -r -overwrite_original '-subject<${filename;s/\.[^\.]+$|_/ /g}' 'PATHtoFILEorDIRECTORY'

Which does exactly what I told it to, including replacing the filename extension with a space... However for good form, I would like to remove this trailing space. A case of just knowing enough to be dangerous I guess!

I poked around the forum and came up with the following:

exiftool -r -overwrite_original '-subject<${filename;s/\.[^\.]+$|_/ /g;-subject;s/\s+$//}' 'PATHtoFILEorDIRECTORY'

Which appears to remove the trailing white space, however it presents the following warning:

Warning: Useless use of negation (-) in void context for 'filename'

So is there a better way to do this with my original regex? If not, where have I gone wrong with the syntax combining the two regex and the subject tag? I of course tried subject without the hyphen, however this did not work.

Warning: Bareword "subject" not allowed while "strict subs" in use for 'filename'

StarGeek

Remove the 2nd -subect.

edit:
Now that I'm home and off mobile, I can be more clear.   The second -subject; doesn't do anything and is the source of the error.  It should be removed.  Try this for your command:
exiftool -r -overwrite_original '-subject<${filename;s/\.[^\.]+$|_/ /g;s/\s+$//}' 'PATHtoFILEorDIRECTORY'
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Stephen Marsh

Thank you StarGeek!

So it appears to come down to adding three characters in order to string together two separate regex commands:

;s/

Is that correct?

Of course, when I went searching the web for info on combining separate Perl regular expressions, I did not find anything that simple... and the forum reference that got me half way there was from a different discussion (tag to filename, not filename to tag, so the syntax was different).

So rather than using the piple | for a "or" operator, I could achieve the same end result by stringing together three separate regex:

exiftool -r -overwrite_original '-subject<${filename;s/\.[^\.]+$/ /g;s/_/ /g;s/\s+$//}' 'PATHtoFILEorDIRECTORY'

EDIT:

Now that I think about it, I can now construct a better regex that only uses two expressions, without the need to correct the unwanted space as I no longer need to use the | pipe construct:

exiftool -r -overwrite_original '-subject<${filename;s/\.[^\.]+$//;s/_/ /g}' 'PATHtoFILEorDIRECTORY'

Thank you!

StarGeek

Quote from: Stephen Marsh on August 06, 2017, 04:42:29 PM
Thank you StarGeek!

So it appears to come down to adding three characters in order to string together two separate regex commands:

;s/

Is that correct?

Not quite.  It's the semicolon alone that indicates a separate statement.  The s/ is the start of a new regex substitution, but you can use a completely different perl command, such as tr or even something as complex as map or grep or even define a new variable with my.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Stephen Marsh

Thanks again StarGeek, I think did see tr in another topic, however I could not get it to work in a different context. This is really useful!