10.73 Problems with stay_open and *.gpr files

Started by herb, January 06, 2018, 10:35:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

herb

Hello Phil,

First I want to wish you a Happy and Prosperous New Year 2018.

Today I installed the new version Exiftool 10.73 on my Windows 7 system. Thanks for this new version.

My application starts Exiftool with -stay_open.
Reading metadata for e.g. *.jpg files works as expected, but reading metadata for the newly supported *.gpr format has problems.
Instead of metadata  my application receives a message that Exiftool has terminated.

In detail:
- my application starts Exiftool with -stay_open and
  sends e.g. command: -all:all  image.gpr -execute111
- windows taskmanager shows that Exiftool has been started
- my application receives message that Exiftool has terminated
- taskmanager does not show the Exiftool task anymore

When I start Exiftool in DOS-box to read metadata for *.gpr files I do not see any problem.

Thanks for your help in advance and
Best regards
Herb

Phil Harvey

Hi Herb,

Odd.  I don't know if there is anything I can do from here to diagnose this.  I tried and it works for me.  If you run the same version of exiftool and use the same arguments as from the command line then there should be no difference at all if they are being read from file.  Perhaps try the same argfile without the -stay_open option to see if it works.  If that does, try the -stay_open from the command line.  If that works, then it is something in the way you are calling ExifTool (calling a different version perhaps?)

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

herb

Hello Phil,

thanks for your quick reply.

Doing some more detailed tests I have seen that the problem/error occurs when I use both options
"-use mwg" and "-validate" for the *.gpr files I found in internet.
For these images exiftool sends an "out of memory" message.

To reproduce please use the following command in DOS-box:
exiftool.exe -a -use mwg -validate -All:all gopro_hero6_black_01.gpr

Not using "-use mwg" or not using "-validate" everything works fine.

I also cannot decide whether the problem occurs for all *.gpr files or only for those I found in internet.

The image file I will send via mail.

Thanks again for your help in advance.
Best regards
Herb

Addition:
The error will not only occur for *.gpr images but also for (some) *.cr2 or *.nef files.

Phil Harvey

Hey great!!  You've found a bug!  Thanks!!

I'll fix it ASAP.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Phil Harvey

I've just released 10.74, which should fix this.

- Phil

herb

Hello Phil,

thanks for the correction and for version 10.74.
The correction works fine.

Best regards
Herb