Exiftool with Mac OS Automator?

Started by jforest, January 04, 2018, 03:29:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jforest

Hi,

Can anyone offer some help in getting Automator to work with Exiftool? I am attempting to extract specific metadata fields from images and add them to an existing .csv. I can easily create a .csv that includes today's date with all the information I need by entering the following into Terminal:
exiftool -csv -r -filename -creator /Users/jforest/Desktop/EXIFTOOL_TEST >NOB_$(date +%m%d%y).csv

While trying to add this as a Shell Script launcher in Automator, I always get a response that says:
Run Shell Script failed ; command not found

A dated .csv is created in my user directory, but is empty.

I am comfortable using Terminal but need to create an automated workflow for people who are not, as I can't afford to have them brick these image files.

StarGeek

I'm not familiar with Automator, but the response of "command not found" sounds like it can't find exiftool.  Try using the full path to exiftool.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Hayo Baan

Stargeek is very likely right; the path used in the shells of the Automator script is different from the path of the shell when you e.g use the Terminal. You can tweak this, but this requires changing some files in /etc and is not recommended unless you know what you are doing.
Hayo Baan – Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

StarGeek

* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

jforest

@StarGeek
Many thanks, altering the path slightly lets me use Automator now!

Stephen Marsh

Apologies, a little bit late, you may find the following useful:

http://prepression.blogspot.com.au/2016/12/automator-diy-exiftool-gui-services.html

You can also find some other info on using Automator in the Developer's forum:

https://exiftool.org/forum/index.php/board,11.0.html