New tag values for Olympus OM-Ds

Started by pinthenet, January 27, 2018, 07:13:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinthenet

I found some changes to tag values for the Olympus OM-D E-M1 II. They are probably valid for other newer OM-Ds too.

Should I post these here or is there a better place?

The changes I found are under

0x600 (Bracketing) - the AE bracketing now appears to use value 5 and not 0. I think the other values may need updating too. I haven't tested yet but based on the menu 3 & 4 could be ISO & ART Bracketing

0x803 (StackedImage) - in the in-camera stacked JPG when using HDR1 & HDR2 I found values '5 4' & '6 4'

I'm working through the stacking data as part of a script to catalog images that are part of a stacked sequence so I may find some more, or maybe some cases where AE bracketing is 0

Please advise
John

Phil Harvey

Hi John,

This is GREAT!

The place to report these is in the "Metadata" section of this forum.  I'll move this post there and you can continue adding to this thread.

Thanks!

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

pinthenet

All clear, thanks.
I'll add any others I find. I assume AE bracketing used to be 0 in OM-Ds prior to FW1.4 or pre-Mark II bodies. It's a little odd as AE bracketing is at the top of the Bracketing options, which would suggest 0

John

pinthenet

Just solved it...

AE Bracketing value 0 is setup via the menu and has more options (nr of shots/f-stops). The shutter has to be released manually for each shot within the bracket.

In the newer cameras there is a dedicated 'quick' HDR option from a dedicated button, which allows selection of the in-camera stacked HDR1/HDR2 modes and a few fixed AE bracketing modes - this is value 5. The shutter is automatically released 'n' times with one press, using the electronic shutter.
I patched Olympus.pm to call this 'HDR'.

Phil Harvey

Great.  I'll add these as soon as I have a chance, and let you know if I have any questions.

Since you are patching Olympus.pm already, would it be possible to post a patch file?  Or your copy of Olympus.pm if that is easier?

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Phil Harvey

I'm trying to add these now, and have run into a problem.  The decoding of the DriveMode tag is rather complex -- it is 5 numbers and I don't know which one you are talking about.  What is the exiftool -n output for each of the modes you mentioned?

Thanks.

- Phil

pinthenet

sorry for the delay.
I attached my Olympus.pm as I didn't make a backup to create a diff :-[

My changes are at lines 2419 & 2420 for [4] ISO bracketing (found that one a few minutes ago) and the 2nd AE Bracketing [5], which I called HDR, although that may not be the best name. It's really the same as the existing AE bracketing (value 0) but activated a different way and the camera automatically takes all shots.

At lines 2482 & 2483 I added the 'HDR1' & 'HDR2' StackedImage settings for the in-camera HDR.

The camera also has an 'ART' bracketing mode which creates a series of JPGs with different ART settings  applied but I couldn't spot any special metadata values.
http://www.olympusamerica.com/crm/oneoffpages/crm_artfilters.asp

The 'MF' bracketing [3] doesn't seem to exist on the E-M1 II - the only MF I know is Manual Focus.

Hope that helps

John

Phil Harvey

Hi John,

Thanks!  This update will appear in the next release.  I think maybe if we call DriveMode 5 "AE Auto" instead of "HDR" it may make more sense.  What do you think?

Please let me know if you discover anything else.

- Phil

pinthenet

Yes, I also thought that may could an option.

I'll keep looking. Does Olympus provide any documentation about metadata tags? I've tried to search but found very little, and mostly old.

Phil Harvey

I know of no major camera manufacturer except for Sigma that has ever documented their metadata.

- Phil