Android File Format Metadata -- error

Started by tgolling, January 31, 2018, 09:09:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tgolling

I have had an issue re-occur that I cannot duplicate intentionally. I understand the file naming structure for Apple is, for example, "IMG_0422.jpg" and goes up in sequence.   Android uses yearmonthday_hourminsecond.jpg.   For my galaxy s7, running nougat.  I took several shots in a row and it changed the file naming structure on one of the photos.  Android has been naming them , for example, 20180123_100853.jpg.   This particular photo is IMG_20180123_100853_545.  That, when run thru exiftool, has no date/time nor GPS date time.   It's like Android is trying to compress a photo by removing metadata.   It added the "IMG_" at the beginning, and _545 at the end.  And I can't figure out why.  Can anyone help me understand what is happening?

I'll attach the photo of my doggo.   Yes, there is GPS.  No stalking my house.

Phil Harvey

You are correct, there is no date/time information in the metadata.  But you can set the common EXIF date/time tags based on the file name like this:

exiftool "-alldates<filename" FILEorDIR

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

tgolling

Phil;

it seems like that apple is doing the same thing with the .heic file naming structure.  Apple seems to be preserving the photo whilst hacking off the rest of the perceived "fluff" (metadata) and I don't know how or why this is happening, or how to recreate this.  I had to use https://heictojpg.com/ to convert it so I could see the metadata.

BTW Phil you are a celebrity in my eyes thanks for your knowledge and love of all things metadata.

Phil Harvey

Apple HEIC files contain a lot of metadata, which recent versions of ExifTool should be able to extract.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

tgolling

But I cannot even SEE the photo w/o conversion first.  I do not operate on an Apple computer therefore at this time the only way for me to view this is converting.  I did upgrade from 10.71 to .74 and that seemed to do the trick for the metadata; I just don't see the benefit of the .heic save to the obvious benefit to apple and their lack of addl memory in iphones.  Thank you for all your hard work.