ICC Profile vs Exif:Colorspace

Started by TSM, February 06, 2018, 08:30:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TSM

Am I right in saying the following.

If you have Exif:Colorspace=Uncalibrated but attached an ICC profile as sRGB that this would be equivalent to having Exif:Colorspace=sRGB as long as the application reading the file supports ICC profiles?

At the moment our system allows assigning an ICC profile to images and it does this by making sure Exif:Colorspace is Uncalibrated and always attaches an ICC profile.
We have a single client that see the image in odd magenta/green colours and they say its because we do not define sRGB in the Colorspace even though we may attach an ICC profile, I believe that either their system is reading the file as CYMK for some odd reason, can not handle ICC profiles or some other unknown issue.
Normally I would say this is their problem as no other client has reported this issue in several years.

Phil Harvey

I've moved this post to the Metadata board because it has nothing to do with ExifTool.

I'm afraid I would have to carefully read the relevant specifications (EXIF and ICC) to be able to answer this question, and even then I'm not sure they would provide the answer.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Stephen Marsh

In the case of Photoshop, there is a file handling preference where an image with the Exif Color Space value of 1 will automatically be assigned the sRGB ICC profile when opened into Photoshop (even though the image does not have an actual ICC profile embedded). If this file handling setting is set to ignore/off, then the image is opened as an untagged image with no sRGB ICC automatically applied.