InDesign Page Count ( PageImagePageNumber )

Started by Stephen Marsh, March 24, 2018, 05:13:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen Marsh

ExifTool is returning the following result for Adobe InDesign files (.indd) that contain more than 2 pages:

[XMP-xmp] PageImagePageNumber: 1, 2

Files consisting of 1 to 2 pages are correctly reported.

Bug? Limitation? Error in the source file?

I have tested with files generated by CS6 and CC2018 with the same result.

Phil Harvey

You can take a look at the raw XMP stored in the file:

exiftool -xmp -b FILE

There must be two PageInfo structures, with PageNumber's 1 and 2.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Stephen Marsh

Thanks Phil, I can share test files if you like. These are simply new documents created from the new document command, with no page content - only a test of total document pages to explore getting the total page count metadata from a given file. In all cases, only 2 pages are being shown, whether the file has 3, 4, 128 pages etc.

Phil Harvey

I don't think there is any need to see the files.  I'm pretty sure that ExifTool is just reporting the metadata stored in the file.  Of course, InDesign can write anything it wants.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Stephen Marsh

Thanks Phil, I have logged the issue with Adobe. I can only test as far back as CS6 and the issue persists with CC2018. As this appears to be reported exactly the same in Adobe Bridge I believe that you are correct in suggesting that this is being incorrectly set at the source.

Stephen Marsh

It appears that I was looking at the page preview thumbnails - which defaults to 2 pages as an application preference and can be changed for all pages if desired... However as demonstrated by this topic thread – one can't reliably use this feature to find out how many pages the file actually has.