removing space from -FocalLength in setting filename

Started by dcwp, May 06, 2018, 01:28:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dcwp

I'm close to getting exiftool to rename files with a certain pattern but I can't quite make the last step work, getting rid of the space when '-T -FocalLength' is used.  I'm close:

exiftool -a -d %Y%m%d-%H%M%S '-FileName<${CreateDate}_${FocalLength}_f${Aperture}_ISO${ISO}.jpg' DSC-0001.JPG

turns "DSC-0001.JPG" into "20180425-014512_24.0 mm_f4.0_ISO100.jpg" but I'm working toward "20180425-014512_24.0mm_f4.0_ISO100.jpg".

My script so far, named "exif1":

#!/bin/bash

VAR1=`/opt/local/bin/exiftool-5.26 -T -FocalLength $1`
VAR2="${VAR1//[[:space:]]/}"

/opt/local/bin/exiftool -a -d %Y%m%d-%H%M%S '-FileName<${CreateDate}_${VAR2}_f${Aperture}_ISO${ISO}.jpg' $1

Errors when it's run:

$ ./exif1 DSC-0001.JPG
Warning: [minor] Tag 'VAR2' not defined - DSC-0001.JPG
Warning: No writable tags set from DSC-0001.JPG
    0 image files updated
    1 image files unchanged

I see the problem, VAR2 in the last line isn't holding the value from the line before -- the way the command's set up it "should" be getting a value from exiftool.  Except exiftool doesn't know anything about a "VAR2" and I can't figure out a way to pass the value into that command.  I can't quite figure out how to get from here to completion and I'd really appreciate some assistance.

macOS 10.13.4
GNU bash, version 3.2.57(1)-release (x86_64-apple-darwin17)
exiftool 10.94 (using MacPorts package mangement tool)

David

Edit: Remove extraneous backtick, make sure pasted errors messages reflect this correction

StarGeek

You can also do the substitution directly in exiftool.

Try this for FocalLength
${FocalLength;s/ //g}
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

dcwp

Seriously?  Seriously!  Thank you!  Don't know how long it would have been before I ran across that in the documentation.

This tool is really impressive.  I first came across mention of it several links deep in something else and I couldn't find it again.  Just as well because it gave me the impression of "this little utility that can do a few things."  Searched for it by name the other day and this time, I came in through the front door.

Thanks again!

David