Yet another GUI

Started by daap, August 02, 2018, 02:51:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daap

Hi Phil and the ExifTool community,

I know there is already an extensive list of Windows GUI tools around ExifTool mentioned on the ExifTool site, but I thought I'd share the tool set I create and use myself publicly for your benefit.

PictureTools consists of three tools:

The Picture Exif and Rename Tool is an application designed to categorise and rename pictures with or without using EXIF data, but it can also edit EXIF data. It features:
•   Categorisation of pictures by writing their EXIF tags
•   Renaming of pictures using EXIF tags, sequential numbers, file last write times and/or text replacements
•   File renaming can make use of camera time shifts to align picture EXIF or file times between different cameras
•   Generation of KMZ files to be used by for example Google Maps to view a timeline of pictures with locations on a map

The Picture Viewer is an application designed for slideshows of your favourite pictures. It features:
•   Optional text shown along with the picture which might include EXIF data
•   Optional transition effects
•   An optional magnifier glass to enlarge parts of a picture

The Picture Screen Saver is a screen saver designed for slideshows of your favourite pictures. It features:
•   Optional text shown along with the picture which might include EXIF data
•   Optional transition effects
•   An optional magnifier glass to enlarge parts of a picture
•   Theme support for theming sets of pictures based on file folders or individual files
•   Multi-screen support

PictureTools can be downloaded here (as Windows Installer MSI or ZIP file with individual files):
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Arix--Dh1WZihdwgIsPPzs-LtUf9YA

Greetings,
Dennis

Phil Harvey

Hi Dennis,

I would like to link this post from the ExifTool home page.  Would it be OK if I attached the distribution files to your post?

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

daap

Hi Phil,

That would be nice!

Which distribution files do you mean? The example pictures in my post?

Dennis

StarGeek

Quote from: daap on August 02, 2018, 08:36:57 PMWhich distribution files do you mean? The example pictures in my post?

He probably means the files on your Onedrive link.  If they're attached to your post, they won't disappear if you give up on the project or OneDrive goes away or something like that.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

daap

Hi,

Ok, I prefer to use the link because then I can put updates on OneDrive under the same link...

Dennis

Phil Harvey

...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

daap

Hi Phil,

Did it work with the link?

Cheers,
Dennis

Phil Harvey

Hi Dennis,

I don't know what you mean.  The link works, yes, but my experience with file sharing services is that the file doesn't remain there for very long, so eventually I would wind up with a dead link.

- Phil

Jeff_Leger

Dear,

I have tried the Picture Exif and Rename Tool. The GUI is nice and it works rather smoothly, as far I have tested it. It may become a very useful program.

But I am a bit disappointed by some issues.

In the rename mode, the button [Insert EXIF tag] opens a dialog allowing to insert any tag: legacy EXIF, legacy IPTC, XMP (EXIF and tags of many other namespaces, but the XMP namespace is not displayed), etc. It should be renamed [Insert tag], and XMP tags should be ordered by spacename (not all grouped under XMP). By the way, if you cancel the dialog and re-open it again from the button [Insert EXIF tag], it doesn't reload the tag list.

In Edit EXIF mode, it is not clear wether the program edits legacy EXIF or XMP exif tags (XMP, exif namespace), or both, an integrated way. Maybe you rely on ExifTool to manage this?
If necessary, you can access the EXIF standard here:
http://www.cipa.jp/std/documents/e/DC-010-2017_E.pdf[/u]]http://www.cipa.jp/std/documents/e/DC-010-2017_E.pdf
http://www.cipa.jp/std/documents/e/DC-008-Translation-2016-E.pdf
I suggest also you have a look at § 3.3.3.1 of Handling Exif and XMP in MWG Guidelines for handling image metadata, to reconcile legacy EXIF and XMP exif tags.
http://www.metadataworkinggroup.com/pdf/mwg_guidance_v101.pdf

Finally, I suggest you to implement read/edition (if possible) to non EXIF tags, to complete your tool. The main challenge I think you'll face is achieving to keep a clear, user-friendly GUI.
Kind regards,

Jeff

daap

Hi Jeff,

That is a very good analysis of the tool, thank you for that. To be honest, since i originally focused mainly on categorising, tagging with text and renaming my pictures, i until now have not given too much thought on other Exif possibilities. In fact, adding the possibility to edit other tags was a bit of an afterthought. But having said that, i will have a look at what you wrote and see how i can improve the tool.

Cheers,
Dennis

daap

Hi Phil,

Looking through OneDrive documentation, the link should not expire unless I set it to expire (or delete the files). Apparently OneDrive (Microsoft) changed that behaviour or the settings around in 2017 from what I can read.

Alternatively I'm happy to send you updates whenever I have them, but that means work for you which I would like to avoid.

I don't currently have a website to store files, only OneDrive and Google drive. I could set up Google Drive too as a backup, so at least one of them is likely to work if the other expires.

Cheers,
Dennis

Phil Harvey

Hi Dennis,

OK, thanks.  I've linked directly to the OneDrive files from the ExifTool home page.

- Phil

daap

Hi Jeff,

I have made changes using your comments as a guide. I think tags are now more clearly displayed using the ExifTool database.

As a general remark: yes, I do rely on ExifTool to manage everything related to tags, EXIF or not. My application does not even go near trying to read any EXIF or other tag data from files, because ExifTool does a much better job at that.

As for naming of the tab, I suppose you are right, but ExifTool itself can actually do more than just EXIF tags. I might rename it later, I just realised I haven't.

Thanks for your comments,
Dennis