How to remove metadata from PDF

Started by pdfhelp, April 09, 2019, 01:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdfhelp

Hello, super noob here.  Have just about zero understanding of computer code.  I know how to open and read the data with the application, but not remove.  I'm sure it's more simple than I think.  Just looking to remove XMP Toolkit and have the creation time the same as modification time. 

Thank you!

Phil Harvey

(Assuming you are on Windows...) The simplest thing to do would be to rename "exiftool(-k).exe" to "exiftool(-xmptoolkit= -P -k).exe", then drag and drop files and folders onto the app to do what you requested.

But note that ExifTool doesn't actually remove metadata from a PDF, so edits like this are reversible.  You need to run a utility such as qpdf afterwards to remove the old metadata.  See the top of the PDF tag documentation for details.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

pdfhelp

Thanks for the quick reply.  And sorry again for what I assume are things you've heard 100x.  Yes, I am using Windows 10. 

I just did that and it saved the file automatically as .PDF_Origional.  How do I get that to be a PDF?

StarGeek

Quote from: pdfhelp on April 09, 2019, 01:58:37 PM
I just did that and it saved the file automatically as .PDF_Origional.  How do I get that to be a PDF?

That's just the backup file.  If you check the main file, you'll see that the data has been removed.  Add -overwrite_original to prevent the creation of backup files.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Phil Harvey

Quote from: StarGeek on April 09, 2019, 02:01:22 PM
Add -overwrite_original to prevent the creation of backup files.

ie) rename the app to "exiftool(-xmptoolkit= -P -overwrite_original -k).exe"

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

pdfhelp

Quote from: Phil Harvey on April 09, 2019, 02:02:55 PM
Quote from: StarGeek on April 09, 2019, 02:01:22 PM
Add -overwrite_original to prevent the creation of backup files.

ie) rename the app to "exiftool(-xmptoolkit= -P -overwrite_original -k).exe"

- Phil

Ok, awesome!  That removed the XMP Toolkit, now how do I go about adding a creation date?  Was a little confused.  Again, sorry :(

Phil Harvey

What creation date do you want to add?  A fixed date?  From the file creation date or a date from any other tag?  The current date? It may be easier at this point to go to the command line...

- Phil