Merging GPS data into a movie file

Started by wimmerfield, April 12, 2019, 12:24:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wimmerfield

I have exported a section of video as a quicktime (.mov) file from my Viofo dashcam using "Dashcam Viewer" and exported GPS data in a GPX file from the original dashcam file. I have then edited the GPX file to only contain data for the extracted time period. Dashcam Viewer then allows me to play the extracted movie file along with the edited GPX file placed in the same folder (and with the same filename). That playback then shows the vehicle's changing position in the inbuilt Google Map display.

I would really like to be able to merge the GPS data from that edited GPX file with the quicktime movie extract and save the resulting file so that it has the GPS data embedded and plays back like an original dashcam file to show the vehicle position on the map without the need of having to load the separate GPX file.

Can I use exiftool to achieve this please?

StarGeek

Unfortunately, exiftool doesn't have the ability to insert a geotrack into a video file.

Since Phil has found over 20 different ways that dashcams embed this data, I'd have doubts that this ability would ever be added.  There's just no standard to follow.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

wimmerfield

Thanks. That explains the problem neatly. Maybe it's time for a dashcam standard now then!