Write metadata based on lensinfo

Started by Jeroen, April 19, 2019, 03:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeroen

Hi,
Completely new to this forum! Trying to find my way in batch files and Exiftool.
I have a Fujifilm X_Pro2 camera, with a few Fujinon lenses but also some vintage lensen, and they have obviously no exif data written in the files.
Only I can decide to set (in the camera setiings) the focal length of the lens.
Now I want to try to automate the lens data before importing in the raw developer software (Capture One), so I want to write a batch file that does the following:

Read all files in directory, and check Lensmake (something like exiftools -Lensmake *)
If Lensmake = FUJIFILM do nothing but process next file
If FocalLenght = 28 then Lensmake = Takumar, Model = etc and proecess next file
If FocalLength = 50 them Lensmake = etc etc and process next file

I know the exiftool -Lensmake parameter, but I do not know how to base the logic of this batch file upon this.
Any help greatly appreciated!
thanks
Jeroen

StarGeek

The thing about exiftool is that it can do most of the batch type commands by itself without having to write a complicated script.

Your example can be run with two commands
exiftool -if "$EXIF:FocalLength#==28" -LensMake=Takumar -LensModel=Model FileOrDir
exiftool -if "$EXIF:FocalLength#==50" -LensMake="Something Else" -LensModel="Some other Model" FileOrDir

These commands check the raw value (the trailing #, see -n (printConv) option) of the EXIF:FocalLength to see if it's 28 or 50 and ignore anything else.  You then set any tag you need to set  (see the EXIF tag names page).

I used the raw values here because it might be easier to deal with.  Without the trailing hashtag, the results would be something like 28.0 mm.  There are a couple other ways to do the compare (using eq or the =~ binding operator) as well.  Replace FileOrDir with the files and/or directories to be processed.

This command creates backup files.  Add -overwrite_original to suppress the creation of backup files.  Add -r to recurse into subdirectories.  If this command is run under Unix/Mac, reverse any double/single quotes to avoid bash interpretation.

One thing to avoid with exiftool is to use it in a looping script (see Common Mistake #3).  Exiftool's biggest performance hit is the startup time and if you have to run it individually on hundreds or thousands of files, it can take an extremely long time.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Phil Harvey

You would need a double == for the comparison:

exiftool -if "$EXIF:FocalLength#==28" -LensMake=Takumar -LensModel=Model FileOrDir
exiftool -if "$EXIF:FocalLength#==50" -LensMake="Something Else" -LensModel="Some other Model" FileOrDir

But be careful that FocalLength# is exactly 50, and not 49.9 or something.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

StarGeek

* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Jeroen

Many thanks StarGeek and Phil  :) :)
It is certain that it might have taken me a good deal of time to find that out!
Was on a completely wrong track, with command file logic, this looks MUCH better so, wil try to incorporate this, learned something again.

The logic I am looking for is a bit different ;), because when it is a Fujifilm lens, then all necessary Exifdata is there, and I do not want to do anything. Only when it is NOT a Fujifilm make, then these commands have to run. In theory it might happen that there is a Fujifilm lens with a focallength of 28 or 50, but then NO processing is to be done. I think I might be able to figure out now a way to accomplish that. Something along the line of:
exiftool -if "$EXIF:LensMake#==FUJIFILM" do nothing,
else

Yes I know that it will not work with 49.9, but that is the one Exifdata I have to set deliberately on the camera when not using a compleely manual lens, meant to set the viewfinder correct, but I use it for this purpose.

Jeroen

Hayo Baan

This can be done quite easily. You just need to use the proper comparison operators; ==, != etc. are for numerical values, eq, ne etc. are for strings.

So in your case case the command would be something like this:
exiftool -if "$EXIF:FocalLength#==28 && $EXIF:LensMake ne 'FUJIFILM'" -LensMake=Takumar -LensModel=Model FileOrDir

In this case you don't need the hash after the LensMake tag name since its a string already. The && stands for and (which you could have used as well  ;)).
Hayo Baan – Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Jeroen

Again, incredibly fast and helpful reply, many thanks :)
Exiftool is much more powerful than I thought!
As soon as I have time I will try to fiddle with all this, very helpful!
Jeroen

Hayo Baan

Hi Jeroen,

Graag gedaan :)

If you know a little perl, you'll be able to perform even more sophisticated manipulations than the rather straightforward example you now presented ;D
Hayo Baan – Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Jeroen

Yes, I now see that is has some true scripting capabilities, not a command-only exe.
But for now I am more than satisfied with what I tried to accomplish, script is already almost ready, thanks to this jumpstart :)
In this case I do not really need much more sophistication, because the camera adds the Exifdata for the picture taken, the only data I miss are the lens data, which I can provide this way. After this the only data that still lacks are the f-stops used per picture, but in order to know these, I have to remember them or write them down, old fashioned ;D
Jeroen