News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

Cannot write to Ricoh GR3 .dng

Started by pulce, April 22, 2019, 01:50:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pulce

First of all - thanks Phil for this awesome tool! It worked flawlessly on my Ricoh GR2.

Since I upgraded to a ricoh GR3, I can no longer write tags to the .dng file. E.g.
exiftool -artist=Florian test.DNG results in
Error: Error reading image data - test.DNG
    0 image files updated
    1 files weren't updated due to errors

However, reading the tags with exiftool test.DNG works fine.

Would be great if anyone could give me a hint on how to proceed. I'm using exiftool 11.37 on Ubuntu 16.04. Since the test.DNG is too large to attach, I'll provide it here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jyikrbsxejeiule/test.DNG?dl=1

Hayo Baan

I'm getting the same error on your file even though the standard exiftool output gives no warning. However, when you use exiftool to validate the file you get see that indeed the file has a problem, causing exiftool to fail at updating it.

$ exiftool -a -G0:1 -validate -warning test.DNG
[ExifTool]      Validate                        : 1 Warning
[ExifTool]      Warning                         : SubIFD1:PreviewImageStart+PreviewImageLength runs past end of file

What software did you use to write the DNG, or is this a file straight from the camera?
Hayo Baan – Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Phil Harvey

This file looks as if it has been truncated.

I have an original GR III DNG here which does not show this problem.

ExifTool will not write this file due to this problem.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

pulce

Thanks guys, and apologies for wasting your time on an issue that has nothing to do with exiftool. I found the (nasty) issue and describe it here if anyone else runs into similar problems:

I use a script to pull my files from the camera to my computer, so I did not see the error message of the cp command. The GR3 uses MTP for USB connections. Therefore, I copied from the mountpoint e.g. via

cp /run/user/1000/gvfs/mtp\:host=%5Busb%3A003%2C002%5D/SD/DCIM/100RICOH/R0000441.DNG /home/pulce/

To my surprise, the command indeed copies any requested file, but also reports an input/output error. The corrupted copy is 50kb smaller than the original. The corrupted copy can even be used in Darktable without any issues, but not with exiftool. When doing a Google search for "mtp cp file corrupted" I learn that there seem to be various issues with MTP and Linux...

When I copy the file via graphical file browser, everything is fine and exiftool works as expected. Thanks again for the hints, they helped a lot to identify the problem.

Cheers, Florian

Phil Harvey

Great.  Glad you found the problem, and thanks for the explanation.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).