News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

No longer able to remove NikonCapture block

Started by Hayo Baan, September 15, 2019, 09:39:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hayo Baan

Hi Phil,

With the latest version you can no longer remove the NikonCapture block from a NEF file. This used to work fine using -NikonCapture:all=.

I dug around and found that in 11.42 it still worked, but from 11.43 and later it doesn't. I guess this is because of the "Prevent MakerNotes from being deleted from any RAW file type" change.

But I really want to be able to delete the NikonCapture block since it's useless ballast. I also want to delete the NikonCaptureOffsets and NikonCaptureOutput tags, the latter I can remove, but the former (NikonCaptureOffsets, I can not, yet). Since you don't actually show NikonCaptureOffsets and NikonCaptureOutput, it would be nice (perhaps) if these tags were removed together with -NikonCapture:all as well.

What do you think?
Hayo Baan – Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Phil Harvey

Hi Hayo,

Thanks for this report.  This will be fixed in version 11.66

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Phil Harvey

ExifTool 11.66 is now available.

-nikoncapture:all= should now work.  I didn't do anything about the NikonCaptureOffsets or NikonCaptureOutput yet.  I will have to think about this a bit.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Hayo Baan

Awesome, thanks! It would be nice to be able to get rid of NikonCaptureOffsets and NikonCaptureOutput (preferably in one go), but if that's too complex (for NikonCaptureOffsets you'd have to get rid of the data the IFDs point to as well and that might not be trivial...)
Hayo Baan – Photography

Phil Harvey

Hi Hayo,

I've looked into this a bit.  NikonCaptureOffsets are double references to data that is already referenced by other tags, so deleting this would be easy. 

You want to be able to delete NikonCaptureOffsets and NikonCaptureOutput in one go.  (These tags themselves are not shown, but other tags are extracted from these structures.)  The options at my end would be to either move these into the NikonCapture group or create a shortcut (like "AllNikonCapture" maybe) that includes these.  But if I do this, there are other tags such as NikonCaptureData, NikonCaptureVersion, NikonCaptureEditVersions, and a number of unknown tags that should probably be included too.  So doing this in a clean way may be difficult.

At any rate, I'll add the ability to delete NikonCaptureOffsets and NikonCaptureVersion.

- Phil

Hayo Baan

Great! I actually already figured they would be double entries :)
i don't mind having to manually remove them but then I would like to see all Nikon Capture-ish tags in the output of exiftool. Since then at least I know they're there ;D (I actually only found out about them by analysing the output of exiftool -v3 for some specific files...)
Hayo Baan – Photography

Phil Harvey

Hi Hayo,

I've just released 11.68, which will allow you to delete these tags.  You still won't see them directly in the output unless you use -v because they are structures containing other tags, not tags themselves.

Also, I've enhanced the html tag name documentation to indicate which makernote tags are deletable.

- Phil

Hayo Baan

Hi Phil,

Many thinks for addressing this (and so quickly). So, to delete all Nikon Capture stuff from a file, all I now need to do is run exiftool -NikonCapture:all= -NikonCaptureOffsets= -NikonCaptureOutput= -NikonCaptureVersion= -NikonCaptureEditVersions= on the file(s). Works nicely!

Note thought that I have never seen files with NikonCaptureVersion or NikonCaptureEditVersions tags...

Many thanks again,
Hayo
Hayo Baan – Photography