FujiFilm RAF Version (write warning)

Started by greybeard, October 03, 2019, 08:17:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greybeard

I understand that a warning message is displayed if an attempt is made to write to a FujiFilm RAF file which isn't on the tested list.

What is the process for getting a new version approved?

The warning is not really meaningful as the test should really be a combination of model and version (if needed).

The RAF version matches the firmware version and for most FujiFilm camera models (or at least the X series and GFX series) this would start at 0100 and progress from there.

As an example 0100 is on the approved list so a new camera is automatically approved whereas an older camera with new firmware may get the warning (if another camera hasn't coincidentally been given the same firmware version).

As another example I have X-T3 RAF files with versions 0200,0210,0300 and 0301 - the 0200 and 0300 are approved (because they happen to match the approved versions for older cameras) but 0210 and 0301 get warnings (because those numbers haven't been seen before).

Phil Harvey

I added this warning because a long while back Fuji changed the format of the RAF files and I was worried about the possibility of another incompatible change.  However, nothing has changed since then, so I could perhaps remove this check now.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

greybeard

I wonder if the answer would be to warn if a new model hasn't been tested?

(It would seem unlikely that Fuji would change the RAF format for an existing model)

Phil Harvey

I was hoping to get something that would be forward compatible with future models.  If this was truly a RAF version number, then everything would be great.  I think it is overkill to warn on each new model.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).