Sharing My UserDefined ExifTags with Others?

Started by perpetual_learner, May 04, 2019, 01:01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

perpetual_learner

Hello,

Great tool, enjoy it a lot! I've created some user defined ExifIFD tags based on the example config file format, but I need other users need to be able to read these tags on their machine. It looks like these tags aren't readable unless someone has a version of the config file and is using ExifTool. Is there a way to make the user defined entries agnostic to the config file? That is, once i've entered them in, those tags are now searchable for others and they don't need a config file to see them?

Let me know if possible, thanks!

StarGeek

For an user defined EXIF tag, they can see the contents using exiftool by adding the -u (unknown) option.  This will just show the raw contents, I believe, so if it needs to be interpreted in any way, then they would have to do so themselves.

To use a program other than exiftool to view it would be highly unlikely.

You might consider using XMP tags, as exiftool will show unknown XMP tags without any other options needed.  They just can't be written without the config file.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

perpetual_learner

Thanks! I went ahead and switched to XMP tags. Confirmed I can read them without the config file loaded, good tip!