Author Topic: Help with Metadata import/export--empty csv file  (Read 565 times)

njenrussell

Help with Metadata import/export--empty csv file
« on: May 06, 2019, 10:26:22 AM »
Hello. I am newer than a newbie and can't seem to get this to do what I want so I would appreciate any help. I have a sidecar metadata file (Excel) and I want to import the IPTC metadata into each image. First, I wanted to export the IPTC metadata from a test image so that I can be sure everything is correct before creating the .csv file for the import. That seemed simpler but I'm clearly not doing something correctly. I am able to get a out.csv file created but there it is completely blank. I'm running from the command line:

the command line below is what gets me the empty csv file.

exiftool -csv -ext jpg "c:\users\user\desktop\testimages" > "c:\users\user\desktop\testimages\out.csv"

I've also tried using the -iptc:all command but that doesn't seem to get me anywhere either.

Thanks for the help.

Phil Harvey

• ExifTool Author
  • Administrator
  • ExifTool Freak
    • ExifTool Home Page
Re: Help with Metadata import/export--empty csv file
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 11:11:30 AM »
Your command looks fine.  I can't see any way that the file "c:\users\user\desktop\testimages\out.csv" could be empty after running this command.  Do you get any messages in the cmd.exe window after running this?  You must have installed exiftool for command-line use (read here) for this to work.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

njenrussell

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 12:02:34 PM »
Thanks, Phil. At least that makes me feel better about my command. Our IT guy followed the directions you sent when he set it up for me. The only thing I notice that is different is the specific location he put it (C:\Windows\System32). Could that create the issue? We often get hung up on permission issues with how IT has to set things up but since I can get to the command prompt and it runs the command, I wouldn't think that was an issue.

After I enter the command, I get a new prompt (no error messages). I know I get an error message if I have a typo so that suggests to me that it is working okay.

I know that there is metadata in the images that I'm using as the test.

Thanks,

StarGeek

• Global Moderator
  • ExifTool Freak
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 03:29:29 PM »
Try running the command without the redirect to make sure there's proper output and no error messages
exiftool -csv -ext jpg "c:\users\user\desktop\testimages"

If it's working properly, at the very least there should be a SourceFile line.
Troubleshooting hints:
* When posting, include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).
* Double all percent signs (%) in a Windows batch file.
* If your GPS coords are negative, make sure and set the GpsLatitudeRef and GpsLongitudeRef tags correctly.

Phil Harvey

• ExifTool Author
  • Administrator
  • ExifTool Freak
    • ExifTool Home Page
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

njenrussell

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2019, 05:07:03 PM »
I didn't get anything with StarGeek's approach either so I'm going to stick with the idea that the issue is with the System32 placement. I'll get IT to fix. Thanks!

Phil Harvey

• ExifTool Author
  • Administrator
  • ExifTool Freak
    • ExifTool Home Page
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 07:07:12 AM »
Alternatively, you should be able to run ExifTool from your account by entering the command with a full path, eg)

C:\Users\MYNAME\Desktop\exiftool ...

- Phil