News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

Help with Metadata import/export--empty csv file

Started by njenrussell, May 06, 2019, 10:26:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

njenrussell

Hello. I am newer than a newbie and can't seem to get this to do what I want so I would appreciate any help. I have a sidecar metadata file (Excel) and I want to import the IPTC metadata into each image. First, I wanted to export the IPTC metadata from a test image so that I can be sure everything is correct before creating the .csv file for the import. That seemed simpler but I'm clearly not doing something correctly. I am able to get a out.csv file created but there it is completely blank. I'm running from the command line:

the command line below is what gets me the empty csv file.

exiftool -csv -ext jpg "c:\users\user\desktop\testimages" > "c:\users\user\desktop\testimages\out.csv"

I've also tried using the -iptc:all command but that doesn't seem to get me anywhere either.

Thanks for the help.

Phil Harvey

Your command looks fine.  I can't see any way that the file "c:\users\user\desktop\testimages\out.csv" could be empty after running this command.  Do you get any messages in the cmd.exe window after running this?  You must have installed exiftool for command-line use (read here) for this to work.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

njenrussell

Thanks, Phil. At least that makes me feel better about my command. Our IT guy followed the directions you sent when he set it up for me. The only thing I notice that is different is the specific location he put it (C:\Windows\System32). Could that create the issue? We often get hung up on permission issues with how IT has to set things up but since I can get to the command prompt and it runs the command, I wouldn't think that was an issue.

After I enter the command, I get a new prompt (no error messages). I know I get an error message if I have a typo so that suggests to me that it is working okay.

I know that there is metadata in the images that I'm using as the test.

Thanks,

StarGeek

Try running the command without the redirect to make sure there's proper output and no error messages
exiftool -csv -ext jpg "c:\users\user\desktop\testimages"

If it's working properly, at the very least there should be a SourceFile line.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Phil Harvey

...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

njenrussell

I didn't get anything with StarGeek's approach either so I'm going to stick with the idea that the issue is with the System32 placement. I'll get IT to fix. Thanks!

Phil Harvey

Alternatively, you should be able to run ExifTool from your account by entering the command with a full path, eg)

C:\Users\MYNAME\Desktop\exiftool ...

- Phil