Tool works but unexpected result

Started by philinator, January 05, 2024, 01:48:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philinator

Hi, I'm muscling through EXIFTOOL trying to fix a troublesome glitch. I like to use Topaz Photo AI along with Lightroom Classic. I'm going through some older photos from 2017 that I was shooting on a Sony a7sii. I was mostly shooting video, but occasionally snapped a photo of my setup, therefore the metadata baked in the 16:9 aspect ratio.

The dimensions in LR are 4240 x 2832, but the metadata shows:

Image Size                      : 4288x2848
Full Image Size                 : 4240x2384
Sony Image Width Max            : 4256
Sony Image Height Max           : 2848

In LR, I'm able to uncrop it fine, but when I export to Topaz, the crop is added back in and the data outside it is not there.

I tried to use the ExifImageHeight command to change the height to match what is in LR, it successfully executes, but I get a "Warning: [minor] Oversized SubIFD StripByteCounts (24424448 bytes, but expected 21371392)". The resultant file gives errors in LR and Topaz saying the metadata file can't be read.

Do I need to change a different parameter to accomplish removing the "fake" crop?

Phil Harvey

What format image is this?  ARW or DNG?

I would suggest comparing the metadata of cropped vs uncropped images to see what is different.  If you could upload some samples somewhere, we may be able to help more.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

philinator

Hi Phil, thank you for the response. Yes, I should have mentioned it is an ARW file. You can download the actual files here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/10pHS6Qzi_lJrMGD53AFlvDw1SywrC4iK?usp=sharing

I've uploaded the original ARW file, as well as the DNG file created from Topaz, you can see the crop on the DNG because Topaz will not see the full image.

The metadata shows the image size on the ARW is 2832 height, but you can see it says the Full Image Size is 2384 height.

Phil Harvey

I was able to download an uncropped ARW sample from elsewhere for comparison with your cropped version.  The uncropped ARW showed this (exiftool -G1 "-*height*" FILE):

[SubIFD]        Image Height                    : 2848
[ExifIFD]       Exif Image Height               : 2832
[Sony]          Sony Image Height               : 2832
[Sony]          Sony Image Height Max           : 2848
[Sony]          Tiff Metering Image Height      : 30

while your cropped ARW gave

[SubIFD]        Image Height                    : 2848
[ExifIFD]       Exif Image Height               : 2384
[Sony]          Sony Image Height               : 2384
[Sony]          Sony Image Height Max           : 2848
[Sony]          Tiff Metering Image Height      : 26

So I used this command to fix your cropped ARW:

exiftool -exififd:exifimageheight=2832 -sony:sonyimageheight=2832 cropped.arw

And after doing this I converted to DNG and the full image opened in LightRoom.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

philinator