CanonImageType image files unchanged

Started by cb220, May 10, 2019, 11:40:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cb220

I'm trying to use this command:

exiftool.pl -CanonImageType="Canon EOS M50" image.cr3

but I'm getting 0 image files updated, 1 image files unchanged.

I've used -s to make sure that CanonImageType is indeed a tag. Specifically, it's Canon:CanonImageType (using this specification doesn't change the image file, either). Looking at the tags section of the ExifTool homepage CanonImageType should be a writable string. Oh, I'm also running the command line as admin.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

StarGeek

Exiftool currently only has limited ability to write .CR3 files.  XMP and Quicktime tags are the only thing it can edit, according to theSupported File Types table. 
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

cb220

Ahh, gotcha. That's too bad :(.

Thanks for letting me know.

Phil Harvey

This is something that may change in the foreseeable future.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

cb220

I see that version 11.43 added more support for writing CR3 files!

Unfortunately, after updating I'm still having no luck editing the CanonImageType tag in my files. The supported file types table lists R/W for Canon tags, so I feel like it should be working now. Am I overlooking something?

Phil Harvey

No.  Apparently I missed something.  I'll look into this and report back when I've figured it out.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Phil Harvey

Hmmm.  11.43 will write tags in any of the Canon binary data structures, but not in the top-level MakerNote directory, which explains why it worked for me when I tested it.  I'll figure out why and this will be fixed in ExifTool 11.44.

- Phil

Edit:  I found the reason, and have a patch in place to fix it, but now I just have to understand why:  Internally I am using a directory name of "MakerNotes" for the top-level makernote directory in a Canon JPG image, but "Canon" in a CR3, and somehow this is affecting the writing logic.

Phil Harvey

Version 11.44 is now available.  This version should do what you wanted.

The difference was that the makernotes are housed behind a TIFF header in the CR3, but not in other formats, so in their processing ExifTool was drilling down through one extra directory level, which resulted in the different directory name.

- Phil