mp3 bitrate and duration wrong

Started by icom, June 12, 2019, 04:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

icom

The attached mp3 file was encoded with ffmpeg, using the aax audio converter utility

When reading metadata with exiftool, it reports a bitrate 64 kbps and a duration of 13.56 s (using exiftool 11.49 on win10 home, version 1809).
However, the real bitrate of the mp3 is 128 kbps and the real duration is 6 s, which ist correctly shown in windows file properties as well as in groove media player (at least the duration is shown there directly), or also by ffprobe utility being part of ffmpeg package

The application "mp3tag" on the other hand, which I'm normally using for mp3 tag management, is showing exactly the same wrong behaviour as exiftool. But every mediaplayer I'm testing is playing the file properly.
And it's not only one file affected - every single file encoded with the ffmpeg utility shows the same behaviour.

Any ideas on this?

Hayo Baan

Interesting, it looks as if exiftool misiterprets the bitrate; the time is reported as twice as long as it really is too.
Hayo Baan – Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Phil Harvey

I think this is a problem with the way the file is encoded.

I opened the MP3 in iTunes, and it says it is 13 seconds long, although when I play it the audio cuts out half way through.

The duration ExifTool calculates is based on the bitrate, and is approximate:

[Composite]     Duration                        : 13.56 s (approx)

So if the bitrate is wrong in the MPEG header, the duration will also be wrong.

ExifTool agrees with iTunes, so I don't think there is any reason to look deeper into this.   It is possible to calculate an exact bitrate by processing the audio stream itself, but that is not something that ExifTool will do (it isn't an audio player).

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Hayo Baan

Interesting, I opened the file in QuickTime and there the info panel told me it was a 7 second recording of 128kbits/s. Strange that iTunes reports it differently. I wonder what could make the difference here; from what I could tell from the -v3 output of exiftool, the bitrate is actually determined from an integer value (5 in this case), so there isn't much that could have gone wrong... That said, how do the players then determine it needs to be played at 128, and not 64 kbits/s?
Hayo Baan – Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

ryerman

Quote from: icom on June 12, 2019, 04:32:01 PM
Any ideas on this?
I use VBRfix whenever I see this problem. (https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,67076.0.html)

W:\>exiftool -ver

Output for original file
W:\>exiftool -config "" -a -s -G1 -MPEG:all -COMPOSITE:all 1.mp3
[MPEG]          MPEGAudioVersion                : 1
[MPEG]          AudioLayer                      : 3
[MPEG]          AudioBitrate                    : 64 kbps
[MPEG]          SampleRate                      : 44100
[MPEG]          ChannelMode                     : Stereo
[MPEG]          MSStereo                        : Off
[MPEG]          IntensityStereo                 : Off
[MPEG]          CopyrightFlag                   : False
[MPEG]          OriginalMedia                   : False
[MPEG]          Emphasis                        : None
[Composite]     DateTimeOriginal                : 2018
[Composite]     Duration                        : 13.56 s (approx)

Output for fixed file
W:\>exiftool -config "" -a -s -G1 -MPEG:all -COMPOSITE:all 1(vbrfixed).mp3
[MPEG]          MPEGAudioVersion                : 1
[MPEG]          AudioLayer                      : 3
[MPEG]          AudioBitrate                    : 64 kbps
[MPEG]          SampleRate                      : 44100
[MPEG]          ChannelMode                     : Stereo
[MPEG]          MSStereo                        : Off
[MPEG]          IntensityStereo                 : Off
[MPEG]          CopyrightFlag                   : False
[MPEG]          OriginalMedia                   : False
[MPEG]          Emphasis                        : None
[MPEG]          VBRFrames                       : 260
[MPEG]          VBRBytes                        : 108667
[MPEG]          VBRScale                        : 0
[Composite]     AudioBitrate                    : 128 kbps
[Composite]     DateTimeOriginal                : 2018
[Composite]     Duration                        : 6.79 s (approx)
Windows 10 Home 64 bit, Exiftool v12.61

icom

Hey ryerman, that looks great - I'll check VBRfix when I'm back home ... thanks!

@Phil - I already agreed that it does not really look like an exiftool problem, even before I read ryermans reply; however, exiftool (and other SW) definitely show misleading results, which seem to be caused by some "mistake"/"mismatched encoding" (?) and I am interested to pinpoint the source of these, because I did not expect this to be possible at all. Also the exiftool outputs of ryermans fixed mp3 still show a wrong audiobitrate within the mpeg tags, although the composite value of audiobitrate is correct now.

- icom

Phil Harvey

Quote from: Hayo Baan on June 13, 2019, 02:38:35 AM
That said, how do the players then determine it needs to be played at 128, and not 64 kbits/s?

The bitrate has nothing to do with how it is played.  The sample rate determines the playback speed.  The bitrate is just a target compression setting used during encoding.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

icom

Thanks again to all involved  8) - VBRfix really works "quick & easy".

So in principle my problem is solved - or better: I know how to solve, when it occurs.
Next step should be to avoid the problems during encoding.

-icom

John Weems

Does anyone know how to distinguish the encoding way of an aax audio converter? I am planning to test the audkit aax audio converter. Its conversion speed is so fast that I am really interested in it.