Automated tests for Unicode file names?

Started by obetz, June 24, 2019, 11:15:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

obetz

Hi Phil,

are there automated tests to check the handling of Unicode filenames of Windows ExifTool?

It seems that the Strawberry Perl based version shows different results than the standard Windows ExifTool.

Since I personally use only 7 bit filenames (usually without spaces), I'm not very familiar with such issues.

Oliver

Phil Harvey

Windows Unicode filename support has been a real thorn in my side.  ActivePerl really sucks here, and I've had to code many work-arounds to patch these problems although I wasn't able to solve them all.  This alone will require a lot of testing if I switch Perl versions in the Windows distro.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

obetz

the difference I found was not caused by Strawberry Perl but MinGW doing file globbing although I had int _CRT_glob = 0; in my code.

MinGW seems to have a "read only" alias from _dowildcard to _CRT_glob so if you write to _CRT_glob, reading from it does not work!

int _CRT_glob = 0;
[...]
i = int _CRT_glob;

creates an error "error: '_dowildcard' undeclared (first use in this function)"!

_dowildcard = 0;
[...]
i = int _CRT_glob;

works. Strange, isn't it?

So back to my initial question: Do you have automated tests for Unicode file name handling?

My first experiment was to run exiftool -filename *.jpg > test.txt in a directory with a mix of weird file names. But I guess there are much more demanding tasks.

Oliver

Phil Harvey

Hi Oliver,

Yes, strange.

Sorry, I didn't answer your original question.  No, I don't have any automated tests for file name handling.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

obetz

Phil Harvey

As well as Unicode file names, try files and folders with Unicode characters in the directory specification.

You could try renaming files as well, by writing the FileName tag with a Unicode name.

Also, try setting some filesystem parameters on a Unicode file name. (Like FileModifyDate.)

- Phil

obetz

the tests I created yield the same result for the installed version and the pp version so I don't think that the calling method makes a difference in parameter handling.

If anybody wants to extend them, I attached an archive.

BTW: Running "ExifTool -ver" takes 245ms with the standard (pp) ExifTool and 148ms with the installed (Strawberry) ExifTool. This is mostly calling overhead: The selftests from the t directory ran with similar speed.

Oliver