bat-file for Windows

Started by Jom, July 16, 2019, 04:35:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jom

QuoteThis is explained if you read the whole line:
The most recent production release is Version 11.50. (Other versions are considered development releases, and are not uploaded to CPAN.)
I just wanted to shorten the quote. Of course, I read everything, but there are features of translation that make it difficult to understand.

StarGeek

Quote from: andreikorzhyts on July 17, 2019, 03:30:10 AM
I thought that it is possible to make somehow in a forum, without third-party hosting.

Imgur is a free image hosting site that allows you to upload anonymously without making an account.  Though if you do so, you can't delete it later if you want. It also strips all metadata from the image for privacy.

Technically, it is possible to attach an image and inline it in the post, though it is a two step procedure.  First, attach the image and then post.  Then go back to your post, right-click->copy url on the attachment, edit the post to include the image.

For example:
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Jom

QuoteTechnically, it is possible to attach an image and inline it in the post, though it is a two step procedure.  First, attach the image and then post.  Then go back to your post, right-click->copy url on the attachment, edit the post to include the image.
It's so easy, why didn't I think  :o. Thanks. I guess I'm tired of learning exiftool in a foreign language. But worth it. In Russian, no one has done lessons on ExifTool. Maybe I'll be the first.

Jom

But I'd like to get back to subject about bat-files.

If there is a exe-version for Windows, is there any reason to using on Windows perl-version of ExifTool? What is she made for?

Phil Harvey

The Perl versions is for people who already have Perl installed.  And people who want to use the API with their own Perl scripts.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Jom

QuoteThe Perl versions is for people who already have Perl installed.  And people who want to use the API with their own Perl scripts.
Are these people convenient to type >perl exiftool.pl or >exiftool.pl instead >exiftool or just >e?
Maybe I don't know something, but I created my own bat-files and just use >e.

Hayo Baan

If I remember correctly (it's been a while since I worked on Windows' command line), if you make pl an executable extension you don't need to type it.
Hayo Baan – Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Jom

Quoteif you make pl an executable extension
I never needed it and I don't know how to do it. Wrote that through the register. I will take an interest itself.

Jom

On Windows, what filename extensions denote an executable?
https://superuser.com/questions/228680/on-windows-what-filename-extensions-denote-an-executable/228693

Everything is simple and probably bat-file is not needed. But then it need to add to the documentation how to do it. I will use this method.

In conclusion, I would like to know the final opinion of Phil.

Phil Harvey

There are very, very many different ways to use Exiftool -- I don't think it makes sense to try to add them all to the documentation.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

obetz

Quote from: andreikorzhyts on July 17, 2019, 11:16:29 AM
Yes, firstly I install Perl and Perl-version. then Phil write Is there any reason you are not using the Windows .exe version of ExifTool?  For this you just type "exiftool". and I began to try exe-version witout uninstalling both Perl-version and Perl. But I do not understand why exe-version checks the library, she's independent.

did you copy the stand alone exiftool.exe to the same directory as the Perl version of ExifTool?

The stand alone exiftool.exe inserts the directory where the exe is placed as first entry of the library search paths.

This is is a (somewhat dangerous) flaw of the PAR/pp packer used to generate exiftool.exe, see https://exiftool.org/forum/index.php/topic,10144.msg52866.html

So  never put the standalone exe version in the same directory as the "Perl ExifTool", or any other directory containing a "lib" directory!

My new ExifTool for Windows package separates the exe (just a small launcher) from the ExifTool and Perl files by a clearly named subdirectory, so you can place it anywhere. It's not yet widely used but I did thorough testing and use it myself so I consider it stable.

Oliver

Jom

Quotedid you copy the stand alone exiftool.exe to the same directory as the Perl version of ExifTool?
Yes.

QuoteThe stand alone exiftool.exe inserts the directory where the exe is placed as first entry of the library search paths....
...So  never put the standalone exe version in the same directory as the "Perl ExifTool", or any other directory containing a "lib" directory!
I understand, thanks.

QuoteMy new ExifTool for Windows package separates the exe (just a small launcher) from the ExifTool and Perl files by a clearly named subdirectory, so you can place it anywhere. It's not yet widely used but I did thorough testing and use it myself so I consider it stable.
Why it require a new project? Why it is impossible to improve the project of Phil?

obetz

Quote from: andreikorzhyts on July 17, 2019, 06:21:16 PM
Why it require a new project? Why it is impossible to improve the project of Phil?

currently, I'm just the one pushing it, so it's on my web site.

Oliver

Jom

Quotecurrently, I'm just the one pushing it, so it's on my web site.

Oliver
Why you the one pushing it? You offered to Phill this option?

Phil Harvey

This is a relatively new development and I haven't had time to look into this in detail yet or set up my Windows environment to build this version.

- Phil